none
DNS Server has no Internet Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, first - I am somewhat of a newby on DNS.  I've installed a Windows 2016 server and configured it to be a domain server and DNS to host local DNS entries on my network.  I have added several Windows and Mac PCs to the domain successfully and the DNS is resolving local host names and internet names no problem for the client PCs attached.  The 2016 server is however not connecting to the internet itself, and I am really struggling to find information on the correct setup of the network settings on the server to make this work properly.

Windows Server 2016 with AD and DNS services configured.  Users are connecting to AD no problem and DNS appears to be working correctly on all client PCs with adapters pulling DNS settings automatically from Router which acts as DHCP server.  When a client connects, DNS server is automatically set to the gateway (which is the router).

On the router, I have the Primary DNS server set to my 2016 DNS server and the secondary set to google (8.8.8.8) in case the server goes down.  This is transferred correctly to all connected devices.

On the 2016 Server I have tried multiple settings on the network adapter.  I've tried leaving the adapter DNS settings to automatic, so it pulls itself as primary and google as secondary from the router like the clients.  I've tried explicitly setting it to google as primary and itself as secondary but neither seems to work.   The server is working fine and seems to be doing all functions on the local network as expected, but is not able to resolve external names for itself.

I'm at a loss here and have no idea why the server cannot resolve external names.  A check says the DNS server is not accessible, but how do I make that happen?  The server should use itself for local DNS resolution and google for external name resolutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 11, 2019 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

on DC:

• in LAN settings, DNS must point to itself (IP + 127.0.0.1) and to another DC, if any
    • in DNS server config, set up a forwarder to your router or to an external DNS server of your choosing.

on domain member (server + client):

• in LAN settings, DNS must point to DCs (or at least AD-integrated DNS)

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Saturday, October 12, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Kindly check for below 

1- Have you ever installed a third party DYN DNS client, (If yes please uninstall)

2-on DNS Tab - Configure Forwarded to point to 8.8.8.

3-Please double check the root hint server

Mark the response as an Asnwer if it has helped,

Regards - Hasan Reza

• Proposed as answer by Hasan Reza Saturday, October 12, 2019 10:31 AM
    Saturday, October 12, 2019 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

If the server should use itself as LOCAL DNS server , in this case you have to open network flow between this server and internet to be able to forward DNS request for external name to another external DNS server. 

If you want to avoit to open network flow between the local server and internet , you can install a DNS server on another server put it in DMZ vlan for external DNS request. then the local server will forward all external DNS server to DNS server in DMZ vlan.

Please don't forget to mark the correct answer, to help others who have the same issue. Thameur BOURBITA MCSE | MCSA My Blog : http://bourbitathameur.blogspot.fr/

Saturday, October 12, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Hi,

How are things going on?

Meanwhile, I agree with Evgenij Smirnov's suggestion, please check DC's LAN and DNS setting. It is recommended to set up a forwarder to your router or to an external DNS server of your choosing.

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 14, 2019 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Michael

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10:20 AM