none
PushPrinterConnections.exe x64 to x86 XP Client

Question

• Hi All,

I've recently setup Server 2008 (x64) on a test network so I can iron out any issues before the release next year. I am having some difficulty getting Group Policy deployed printers working on the XP Pro (x86) clients.
    • I've setup AD DS and Print Management to deploy two network printers through Group Policy.
    • I've copied %WINDIR%\System32\PushPrinterConnections.exe to the startup script folder in SYSVOL and added the application as a startup script for computers on the domain.
    When the XP client tries to execute the script it fails with the error: "... is not a valid win32 application". Which I believe indicates that PPC distributed with Server 2008 x64 is a 64bit application.

Am I right? If so is there anywhere I can get the x86 version?

Thanks
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    did you find the x86 version?
    If so where?

Thanks
    Lipa
    Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:05 PM
  • No I did not find an x86 version installed on the x64 system. I couldn't find one in the dvd image either. I have a copy of the x86 beta1 from earlier testing which I installed on a spare machine, installed the print server role, and then copied the PushPrinterConnections.exe file from that x86 install to the deployed x64 box.
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Microsoft now has a download available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973878

(Seems really strange to me that MS didn't think of this (and the ntprint.inf problem for x86 drivers) when they decided to make 2008 R2 x64-only...)

Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:56 AM