Unable to stop User Profile Sync Service RRS feed

• Question

• The UPS is stuck on Stopping! i have read many articles but to no avail. i have run the command below that ran successfully but the service is still saying Stopping, even after an iisreset.

stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype “Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ProfileSynchronizationService, Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” -servicename FIMSynchronizationService

When i try and delete the service it just hangs on the Processing screen.

In need of urgent help with this one.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:20 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the reply. I ended up having several calls to Microsoft who had trouble themselves. But it`s fixed now.
    • Marked as answer by ChiefUK Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 PM

All replies

• Are you seeing any activities going in Synchronization service Manager?
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Not sure what you mean? I have now stopped the service as it`s showing "Stopped" in the Services on Server page. But in the Manage Service Applications page it`s showing Stopping.
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 5:21 PM
  • User profile sync is actually a two staged in SP 2010. It actually imports in the Sync. service manager. If you look at the Sync service manager, and if any of the import is happening you have to stop it first. If it is not happening there, then you might want to try creating the connection again.

Sync manager can be found at : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service\UIShell\miisclient.exe.

Run the exe and see, if anything in progress. If you might need to stop here, before recreating the connection in the SP.

Friday, September 28, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Tried to run the miisclient.exe but it wont run. Error says Unable to connect to the Synchronization Service.

Some possible causes are

1. The service is not started.

2. Your account is not a member of a required Security Group.

See the Synchronization Service Documentation for details.

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hi,

try to run command in SharePoint 2010 Management Shell:

Get-SPServiceInstance

If it says anything different than stopped, then get the id of that service and write a command:

Get-SPServiceInstance -identitiy [your id] | Stop-SPServiceInstance

Hope it helps

Robi MCT Kompas Xnet d.o.o. Ljubljana | blog: http://xblogs.kompas-xnet.si | website: http://www.kompas-xnet.si
    Slovenia
    Please vote if you find reply useful or mark it as answer.
    Thank you

Friday, June 14, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. I ended up having several calls to Microsoft who had trouble themselves. But it`s fixed now.
    • Marked as answer by ChiefUK Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 1:56 PM