none
What is the upgrade path for Windows Media Services after 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• At my school I run Server 2008 R2 with the primary role being Media Services, with over 2000 wmv files available to teachers and students on our intranet. I am aware that I will fairly soon have to upgrade this server and, because I am now somewhat out of the computing world, do not know what my upgrade options are. Is it possible to migrate to Server 2012 or 2016 maintaining the existing publishing points etc.

All answers greatly appreciated.

Jim Brook
    Massey High School
    Auckland
    New Zealand

Friday, November 18, 2016 12:47 AM

All replies

• I just ran into this issue myself, I was planning to upgrade a Win 2008 Windows Media Services server to Win 2012 R2 using IIS Media Services (WMS does not run on 2012) but found out that IIS Media Services does not support streaming WMV files which is my primary need.

My short term solution is to setup a new server with Windows 2008 R2 w/ Windows Media Services which is in Extended Support until January 2020 but it looks like long term we will need to convert all of our files from WMV to a format that IIS Media Services is capable of streaming or try to find a 3rd party product which can stream WMV files. 

I realize this is not a solution but I had done quite a bit of research to try and figure out a way out of this same problem and figured it was worth sharing what I found.

Thanks!

Friday, November 18, 2016 4:08 PM