none
DNS records not scavenging & confirmation box empty RRS feed

• Question

• Client: integrated AD setup with virtual DC and physical BDC. DC runs DNS and the BDC runs DHCP (not my configuration, inherited)

Complaint: Scavenging seems to be failing- records much older than the limit of 7 days remain including for deprecated servers and workstations.

Attempt to force scavenging does not work either. In face when I attempt to set it this happens:

I set the default 7 and 7 day settings:

BUT when I click OK... this happens:

Setting don't show at all. As this is an inherited setup (and I have zero documentation on how DNS was configured) I'm at a loss to figure this one out.  Any takers out there?

EDIT: This is not a configuration problem! Let me be very clear this is the problem this box SHOULD show what was set in the previous dialog but it's always blank:

• Edited by Boat Tech Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:51 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 4:54 PM

Answers

• Again, if you'd read the original post you'd know that I did, in fact, force a scavenge and that after doing so the stale records were not removed and the log files show that scavenging was done without error.

You and Dokoh have been incredibly unhelpful: not only have you failed to actually focus on the problem you've shown that you didn't even bother to actually read the original post and have essentially hijacked this threat with superfluous and irrelevant drivel!

I found my answer on my own: DHCP was running on a physical server while the DC and DNS were running on a virtual instance and when my client uninstalled DHCP from the DC the DNS instance was corrupted and needed to be reinstalled or stale records that it's ignoring need to be manually deleted.

Friday, January 18, 2019 6:33 PM

All replies

• I have previously initiated a Wiki about how DNS aging and scavenging works: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/21724.how-dns-aging-and-scavenging-works.aspx

I would advise starting with it and it will provide you details about the configuration should be.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Saturday, January 12, 2019 3:19 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please tell us how old the records are? If you enable scavenging, by default a record should be removed 14 days later, which is No-refresh interval for zone + Refresh interval for zone.

I checked in my lab environment but unfortunately it appears like below.

Would you please try and see if scavenging for a single zone works?

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:42 AM
  • Hello,

This documentation will explain you how scavenging works because it is a 2 steps configuration :

• Configuration on the zone you want to scavenge
    • Configuration on the server you want to do the scavenging

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/networking/2008/03/19/dont-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient/

Best Regards,

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:13 AM
  • At least 6 months old in some cases and a few are for resources that were deprecated.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:41 PM
  • I know how scavenging works and if you'd taken the time to read the post you wouldn't have wasted my time: the problem is that NOTHING is showing in the window when it should show changes being made. 

Please don't waste other's time in your mad quest to rack up points. I will be reporting your post.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:44 PM
  • Also I've changed the refresh intervals several times (to 1 day and 21 days) and in both cases the summary dialog box is empty- anything I input does not show and no changes are made (also happens when I try to do this via command line).

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:46 PM
  • Hello,

If you have read the documentation you should know that based on your configuration your record will be deleted after 14 days and not 7 days like you think. "The next safety valves are the Refresh and No-refresh intervals.  Both of these must elapse before a record can be deleted."

Second point on the server where you have enabled scavenging do you have this event in DNS log "DNS-Server-Service" event 2501 ?

Best Regards,

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Before we go further I'd like to confirm that, is the box still empty when you've made changes?

The box only shows the changes which have been made in the Server Aging/Scavenging Properties. It will be empty if you make no modification and leave it as the default value.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 8:50 AM
  • I have made changes. I have changed the 7 days to 14 to 21 and to 1 IN BOTH THE NO REFRESH AND REFRESH INTERVALS- every change I make 7&14 14&7 21&1 1&21 21&21, 14&14 

THEY ALL SHOW AN EMPTY BOX WHEN CONFIRMING THE CHANGE!!!!!!

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:26 PM
  • This is not a configuration problem! 

I have the server (THE ONLY DNS SERVER). We have FORCED a scavenge with 1 DAY as a limit and still the stale records (some older than 6 months) remain.  In initial change to 6 days from 14 was made A MONTH AGO and still the stale records including some for deprecated devices and resources (that have PHYSICALLY been removed from the network months ago!!!)  are STILL SHOWING.

Read what is written and stop trying to answer what I'm NOT asking.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Does this work if you manually scavenge the stale records?

If the answer is no, when you delete a single record and refresh, will it come back?

Regards,

Zoe

Friday, January 18, 2019 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

I will add to Zoe answer that normally you have an event in the DNS server log telling you which zones were visited.

If you don't have any event it means that the scavenger is not enabled on the server where you run the "Scavenge Stale Resource Records"

Best Regards,

Friday, January 18, 2019 7:46 AM
  • Again, if you'd read the original post you'd know that I did, in fact, force a scavenge and that after doing so the stale records were not removed and the log files show that scavenging was done without error.

You and Dokoh have been incredibly unhelpful: not only have you failed to actually focus on the problem you've shown that you didn't even bother to actually read the original post and have essentially hijacked this threat with superfluous and irrelevant drivel!

I found my answer on my own: DHCP was running on a physical server while the DC and DNS were running on a virtual instance and when my client uninstalled DHCP from the DC the DNS instance was corrupted and needed to be reinstalled or stale records that it's ignoring need to be manually deleted.

Friday, January 18, 2019 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and sorry for all the inconvenience.

Also, if you don't mind, please mark the helpful reply as answer so other community members could find the information quickly.

Regards,

Zoe

Monday, January 21, 2019 6:57 AM