none
TermDD Event ID: 56

Question

•  

Hi!

When i connect to my hyper-v host with remote desktop at times i temporarily lose the connection. I have to wait about one
    minute before the connection is again on

When this occurs in the log i have

TermDD Event ID: 56
    The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client.

There are four NICs in the host.
    Two NICs are Intel(R) PRO/1000 EB Network Connection and two are Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Three NICs are dedicated to virtual switches and one is dedicated to the physical machine.

Any suggestions?

Luciano

Monday, January 19, 2009 10:55 PM

Answers

•  

Something is wrong with the two cards XYXEL GN680-T = Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I will substitute them ...

Really appreciate your help Brian and Ben

Ciao
    Luciano

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a routing problem.

Make sure that only your management NIC is on the network.

By this I mean that if you created any External Virtual Networks, disable the virtual NIC that was created for the parent partition and attached to the External Virtual Networks.

The Host should only have one NIC on any one network segment.  I have noticed that when there are multiple NICs on a single network segment, that the traffic will randomly exit the host on a network other than the one it entered on.

This is most likely due to the additional NICs aquiring IP addresses via DHCP and thus having gateway addresses.  Making the routing tables all strange in the Host partition.

This might help:
    http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/12/dedicating-physical-nic-for-management.html

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:11 PM
  •  

I have removed all binding on the virtual NIC attached to the External Virtual Network instead
    of disabling them. It is the same?
    Running ipconfig /all on the Host i see only a Network Adapter. It has a fixed IP

Thank you for your help Brian

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Do you know which NIC you are connecting to the parent with?  I had a similar issue with one of my RealTek NICs recently and fixed it by moving to the Intel card for my management card.
    Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:08 PM
    Owner
  •  

My management card is the Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I will try to move to the Intel NIC...

About the Realtek i also suspect the driver automatically loaded in Windows 2008
    I will try the latest driver downloaded from Realtek

Related to the TermDD Event ID 56 i have read something about disabling Large Send Offload (IPv4)

Thank you for help Ben

Luciano

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:35 PM
  •  

Something is wrong with the two cards XYXEL GN680-T = Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I will substitute them ...

Really appreciate your help Brian and Ben

Ciao
    Luciano

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Luciano Buffoni said:

My management card is the Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I will try to move to the Intel NIC...

About the Realtek i also suspect the driver automatically loaded in Windows 2008
    I will try the latest driver downloaded from Realtek

Related to the TermDD Event ID 56 i have read something about disabling Large Send Offload (IPv4)

Thank you for help Ben

Luciano

I also have a Realtek RTL8168C/8111C Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) and I am getting this error once a day while streaming recorded TV to my Xbox 360.  I also read that disabling Large Send Offload would fix the problem, this did not do it.

I did not have this issue with Vista with the same PC.  Not sure if it is a bug with W7 or a driver issue.  No update on Realtek website yet.    
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:36 PM