none
Windows 2008 EE with Hyper-V hangs on restart...

Question

• I have several HP Workstation "HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower", with this configuration :

Processor    Core2 Duo E8500
    RAM             4GB
    DISK            240 GB SATA
    BIOS            release 1.11 (last possible release)

The processor supports Intel VT (Virtualization Technology) and DEP (Data Execution Prevention), and these are enabled in BIOS.

I installed Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition 64 bit (all ok!), and after I installed the Hyper-V role: the installation seemed ok and the server asked me the restart.

During the restart, the machine hangs (black screen with the mouse pointer blocked in the center of the screen, totally unresponsive).

The machine can now start correctly only if I disable "Intel VT" setting in BIOS, but in that case the Hypervisor is not running (obviously...).

In the Event Log, I can see these 2 errors :

1) Event ID 41 - Source : Hyper-v Hypervisor   "Hyper-v launch failed; either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS"
    2) Event ID 32 - Source : Hyper-v Hypervisor   "Hyper-V launch failed; at least one of the processors in the system does not appear to provide a  virtualization platform supported by Hyper-V"

Several other users (I've seen in Internet) have the same problem, also with different machine brands.

Any hints would be appreciated!!!   Thank you...
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Recently we also encountered the same problem with our lab machines which are also HP Compaq DC7900. After  the Hyper-V component is installed, the computer cannot boot. If we disable “Intel VT” in BIOS, it could start but Hypervisor is not running.

It seems that there are some Hyper-V compatible problems with this model of computer. I suggest that you contact HP to see whether this modal of computer is compatible with Hyper-V.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi

after several days trying to solve the problem (with no success), I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 (beta1) on my HP dc7900 machine, and this solved the problem : no blue or black screen, hyper-v services run correctly, virtual machines run correctly.   So, it seems to be a problem in Hyper-v software in Windows Server 2008, rather than an HP problem or a BIOS problem.   Several other users reported the same problem in other forums.   Hereunder, a link to one of these forums...

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1303132
    • Marked as answer by Ivan Salvade Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Recently we also encountered the same problem with our lab machines which are also HP Compaq DC7900. After  the Hyper-V component is installed, the computer cannot boot. If we disable “Intel VT” in BIOS, it could start but Hypervisor is not running.

It seems that there are some Hyper-V compatible problems with this model of computer. I suggest that you contact HP to see whether this modal of computer is compatible with Hyper-V.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:00 AM
  • Hi

after several days trying to solve the problem (with no success), I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 (beta1) on my HP dc7900 machine, and this solved the problem : no blue or black screen, hyper-v services run correctly, virtual machines run correctly.   So, it seems to be a problem in Hyper-v software in Windows Server 2008, rather than an HP problem or a BIOS problem.   Several other users reported the same problem in other forums.   Hereunder, a link to one of these forums...

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1303132
    • Marked as answer by Ivan Salvade Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Hi JoeJoe1,

Thanks for your information.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Hi Vincent, JoeJoe,

I encountered exactly the same problem, with a dc5900 SFF desktop computer too. I canot use the W2K8R2 Beta version to present my french seminar. Since January, do you heared about any patches or hotfixes from MS to correct this issue ?

Friday, February 27, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Hi JoeJoe,

It is reported that Windows Server 2008 R2 can solve this problem. Can you tell me what's the problem you encountered when you install Windows Server 2008 R2?

By the way, I recommend that you post a new thread in this forum if you have more questions. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu
    Monday, March 02, 2009 1:50 AM
  • Hi

I have the same Blue Screen Issue after rebbot during Hyper-V Installation Even in Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2. I have a Acer desktop which supports virtualization. And I have enabled XD Bit and Virtualization in CMOS.

The Desktop model which i use is an Acer Veriton S661 with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU / E8300 @ 2.83GHz Processor which supports virtualization and 4 GB RAM.

Thanks n' Regards,
    Saneesh KS

Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:06 AM