none
How do I create a self signed certificate in Server 2016?

Question

• I have set up a server 2016 RoDC for our test environment, everything is working fine but I now need to create a self signed certificate for this to use (we have Oracle systems connecting to our test domain, these require a certificate. The current 2008 R2 RoDC uses a self signed). How can I create this in server 2016? Searches for this only seem to point to either posts from years ago or Exchange 2016.
    Friday, January 6, 2017 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is as same as before.

1.Install IIS service.

2.Select Server certificates in IIS manager:

3.Create Self signed certificate:

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see if the problem has been resolved. If there's anything you'd like to know, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards
    Cartman
    Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:52 AM
  • How to make this certificate work for websites on the same machine but with different ip address?

Server machine name is test3.mydomain.local, ip address is 10.0.1.20, the certificate is created for that.

We have 10.0.1.6, 10.0.1.8, 10.0.11 ip addresses mapped to three sites setup to use that self-signed certificate.

When we get to 10.0.1.6, we get error like this

"The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address."

How to sort out this problem?

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:25 PM
  • Kunyao - certificates don't use IP addresses.  Certificates *only* use hostnames.  So, if you try to open a website using it's IP address, it will ALWAYS throw an error messaging telling you that the hostname doesn't match the certificate.  If you create a DNS entry that maps the hostname from the certificate to the IP address you're using, you should be good - assuming your "bindings" in IIS have mapped that hostname to the certificate on the website in question.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:55 PM