My Document Redirection/Recycle Bin RRS feed

• Question

• This is a server and workstation issue/question, but I hope someone has seen this before.  I have a data server that I redirect user documents to from a My Documents redirection policy on the domain.  However, when users delete files from their My Documents folder, it creates a Recycle Bin on the server and stores the deleted files there.  Users are not used to purging the Recycle Bin so the server fills up and I have to manually delete the folders from the server.  I tried turning off the Recycle Bin on the machine via a registry change, but this stops ALL Recycle Bin functions and a user deleted something they really needed by mistake, so that's not an option either.

I'd like to be able to allow a local recycle bin, but remove the one that is being stored on the server, if possible.

Does anyone have a solution/workaround to this issue?

Thank you!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello

Edit the registry "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket\@
    NukeOnDelete=1

By making NukeOnDelete=1 this will disable the folder redirection recycle bin

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:22 PM
  • This is actually what I did, but it removed all recycle bin functions.  Did I do something wrong?
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hi TBone,

Perhaps this might work for you:

Empty Recycle Bin v1.00 (EmptyRecycleBin.exe)   Last Updated: 08/28/2002

Allows you to empty the Windows Recycle Bin from the command line. Works on Windows XP, 2000, ME and 98. May work on Windows 95 and NT4 if the Active Desktop is installed (not tested). Use 'EmptyRecycleBin.exe /?' to view the syntax.
    http://www.optimumx.com/download/#EmptyRecycleBin

I haven't fully tested this yet, but I'm going to try setting this application up as a scheduled task to run every 30 days.  Perhaps this may assist you with your quest.  ;)

Edit:  I did a quick Google search on your original question and it appears there is not really a way to separate the RECYCLER folder from the My Documents folder.  While this may not be a way prevent recycled files from being stored on the server, it may work out as an automated way to accomplish what you're doing now.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, it’s not possible to keep the local Recycle Bin and remove remote one. To mitigate the disk space problem, you may try Eric’s solution from the article below to empty Recycle Bin by script:

My Documents Folder Redirection / Recycle Bin
    http://www.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26059
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by TBone1985 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 7:04 AM
  • I like this.  I am going to try it.

Thanks,

Tyler

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 8:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by TBone1985 Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:06 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:06 PM

• Glad to hear the suggestions is helpful. If you have more questions in the future, you’re welcomed to this forum.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 2:42 AM