none
Windows Boot Manager appears when restarting VM with Windows Server 2019 Guest OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've seen this problem for a while now - First in existing deployments (which made me think it's an issue with the infrastructure), but now on new Hyper-V deployments as well:

When I try to restart a VM by actually pressing the restart button in the Windows Server 2019 Guest OS, the VM appears to boot into the Windows Boot Manager from time to time:

There is absolutely no issue with the attached VHDX-Files, the problem can occur on the simplest deployments with one local disc. And if I select the "windows server"-entry, everything is booting like a charm. 

My problem right now is, that this boot manager does not have a countdown. That's a real problem for our staff, which has no access to the Hyper-V Console, but is able to restart a VM by accessing it via RDP. 

My question is now: Am I the only one out here with that problem? I did some research, but I either used the wrong search phrases or I am missing something big here.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort - and sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

Carsten Brenner - IT-Engineer @ cloud4you AG (Germany)

Get connected:

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:35 AM

Answers

• The boot sequence looks fine. As already said: These are completely new VMs without any customization on a standard Hyper-V Deployment. 

So thank you very much for your time and effort, Leon. But it seems to be just another Windows Server 2019-Bug. 

Get connected:

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Carsten,

I have encountered the similar behavior with Hyper-V on a Windows 10 and running Windows Server 2019 virtual machines, however I can't recall doing anything about it and I believe it got resolved by itself.

It could be that your system boot option/settings got changed somehow.

Could you check the following things:

Check the boot manager configuration
    (You can view complete contents of BCD using Visual BCD Editor)

Check the settings of the Startup and Recovery
    Right-click This PC > Properties > Advanced System settings > "Startup and Recovery" Settings.

Check the boot order of the virtual machine
    Right-click your virtual machine > Settings > Firmware > Boot order.

Check the Msconfig settings

Start > Run > "msconfig" then select "Boot", check whether there are multiple entries there.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, July 12, 2019 3:40 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:01 AM
  • The boot sequence looks fine. As already said: These are completely new VMs without any customization on a standard Hyper-V Deployment. 

So thank you very much for your time and effort, Leon. But it seems to be just another Windows Server 2019-Bug. 

Get connected:

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Hi Carsten,

some time has passed now. Did you found a solution for this now?

Asking cause i'm struggeling with the same problem.

Greetings

Marcel Brabetz

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi Marcel,

unfortunately i wasn't able to find a solution. But I cannot see any regularity to localize the problem. Without doing any updates or changes restarts succeed on one day and fail on others. 

As a result i'm not brave enough to do any unmoderated restarts on Server 2019 right now.

Kind regards,

Get connected:

Friday, October 18, 2019 4:07 PM