none
NPS MMC Crash after adding new RADIUS client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm working on a Windows 2008 SP2 version
    When i try to add a new RADIUS Client the MMC snap-in stopped working.
    i'm also unable to remove old RADIUS clients.

the following error is shown:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: mmc.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6002.18005
    Problem Signature 03: 49e02760
    Problem Signature 04: npsui
    Problem Signature 05: 6.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4791ade7
    Problem Signature 07: 13a
    Problem Signature 08: f8
    Problem Signature 09: System.UnauthorizedAccess
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.274.10
    Locale ID: 1043

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:30 AM

Answers

• Huge workaround but it works for me,

Get the RADIUS client working on a 2003 machine (Clone or New machine) then upgrade the 2003 machine to 2008.
    After that copy the file %windir%\system32\ias\ias.xml to the same folder you want to get RADIUS working.
    then restart the "Network Policy Server" service and the newly copied XML will be loaded.
    • Marked as answer by Danny NL Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,
      Thanks a lot for reporting us. Was it working earlier ? This is strange for us too. Can you try deleting the Radius Client from NETSH command and Try add a new one through UI ?
      Also, we would like to investigate this failure/crash, Would it be possible to share us the %WINDIR%\System32\ias\ias.xml ?

NETSH NPS DELETE RADIUS CLIENT name= <<Radius client name>>

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    • Proposed as answer by RamaSubbu SK Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Danny NL Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:28 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hi RamaSubbu,

First of all, thanks for the support.
    When i delete a client in NETSH it does delete it, but when i look in the NPS MMC manager it pops right back in.
    and when i try to add a simple new client it shows the error "ACCESS IS DENIED"

where can i send the XML to ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:31 AM
  • Huge workaround but it works for me,

Get the RADIUS client working on a 2003 machine (Clone or New machine) then upgrade the 2003 machine to 2008.
    After that copy the file %windir%\system32\ias\ias.xml to the same folder you want to get RADIUS working.
    then restart the "Network Policy Server" service and the newly copied XML will be loaded.
    • Marked as answer by Danny NL Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Hi Danny NL,
       Sorry for the very late reply. You can send us the XML file by uploading those files at SKYDrive and give us the link. Regarding NPS , Generally don't have the NPS and NETSH open at the same time. Make sure you  have closed the MMC when executing the NETSH command. Good to know that you got some Huge workaround working for you. But we would like to investigate this more further. Kindly contact us back once you hit same issue again.
      Thanks a lot for sharing the workaround you found with us.

Feel free to contact us for any questions you have on NPS/NAP.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:56 PM
  • RamaSubbu,

I am experiencing the same problem on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller. I tried adding a new RADIUS client to a different domain controller (2008 R2 as well) that didn't have the files noted above and it worked just fine. The server that is crashing doesn't have the files mentioned above. I am thinking the source of the crash is not the absence of the files, but it seems like adding them in does fix the problem. I read a post on a different site where a guy fixed his crashes in the same way. Only he copied the file dnary.xml in addition to ias.xml. Just copying the files from a working server to the bad one seems to do the trick. My problem is that I don't have any of the files to copy. Is there a hot fix for this?

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Can you try adding the via NETSH ?
    Sorry! No one (including me) own any liability or responsibility for any of my posting.
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?  We're experiencing the same issue.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:38 PM
  • @creuck,OESD 114 NS

IAS.XML stores the configuration of NPS server. Absence/Corruption of these files is an issue.  Files might not be present in the beginning, but will come up once you make changes to NPS policies/clients in nps.msc.

Try re-installing NPS Server role. (First export the configuration to save it & import after re-install).

If that doesn't work, you may need to install NPS on a different server and take the ias.xml & dnary.xml files to damaged server.

If still not resolved, please share the crash dump of the NPS server, for further investigation.

Also, please share,

1. Traces (%windir%\tracing)

netsh ras set tracing * dis

Delete logs under %windir%\tracing

netsh ras set tracing * en

REPRO THE FAILURE CASE

Save logs under %windir%\tracing

2. Event logs

Sanjai G [MSFT] This is just a suggestion. Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.!
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Is there any which can add RADIUS Client to IAS service without using NPS?

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Thanks, Shehatovich
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:35 AM
  • HI Shehatovich

I am not pretty clear on your ask.

Apart from NPS UI, you can either use Netsh NPS context  or SDO API to add clients.

Sanjai G [MSFT] This is just a suggestion. Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.!
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:25 AM
  • I have figured out a fix that works for me and hope it helps someone else.

• Stop the NPS service
    • Export the configuration.
    • Go to "C:\Windows\System32\ias" and remove all files with the exception of: "dnary.xsd", "nps_create.sql", "nps_init.sql"
    • Update the security permissions for the folder "C:\Windows\System32\ias" to include the Principal "NETWORK SERVICE" with the following permissions

NPS NETWORK SERVICE Permissions

• Start the NPS Service.
    • If you previously backed up your configuration, Import it.

Hope this helps.

Friday, June 14, 2019 9:47 PM