none
XP/SP3 & Hyper-V RC1 - cannot upgrade integration services RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have two XP / SP3 vitrual machines, and on each one, after I dismiss the "found new hardware" wizard, and try to install the Integration Services, I receive the "A previous installation og Hyper-V integration services has been detected"

I click OK to "upgrade or repair", and I get the following error message:

"An error has occured: Fatal error during installation."

My event viewer doesn't seem to have any relevant information.

Ideas?

Karl

Thursday, May 22, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Hyper-V Guest Components (i.e., Integration Services). Reboot. Reinstall Integration Services. Let us know what happens.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:01 PM
  • That was the first thing I thought have (should have mentioned that)

There is nothing under Add / Remove programs with or without "show updates" checked, and there is nothing in Add/Remove Windows Componets

Karl

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Does this happen on a clean install?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 2, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Same problem with W2K3 SP2. No way to install Integration Services. Receiving the Fatal error during Installation on every try.
    In other VMs hosted in the same server the error does not happen.
    Any one could sugest a workarround or solution?
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:50 PM
  •  Did those images have the Virtual Server Additions installed by any chance?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  I have same issue. Yes, Virtual Server Additions have been installed on the system before and uninstalled before the migration to Hyper-V. I have migrated many many machines the same way, and only one failed with the error "an error occured: fatal error during installtion."

Any ideas?
    ASPnix Web Hosting
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:23 AM
  • The virtualized server was hosting a Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 when physical, but it was uninstalled before the virtualization... 

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:29 PM
  • I have the same problem as VMS and ASPnix (W2K3 R2 SP2 fatal error when installing integration components).

Here are some log entries I hope will help.

C:\Windows\setupact.log

WdfCoInstaller: [08/21/2008 12:26.39.152] ReadComponents:  WdfSection for Driver Service dummy using KMDF lib version Major 0x1, minor 0x5

WdfCoInstaller: [08/21/2008 12:26.39.215] ArpEntryPresent: RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wdf01005)

WdfCoInstaller: [08/21/2008 12:26.39.215] ArpEntryPresent wasn't found so we will assume the package was removed: error(2) The system cannot find the file specified.

WdfCoInstaller: [08/21/2008 12:26.39.371] VerifyMSRoot: exit: error(0) The operation completed successfully.

WdfCoInstaller: [08/21/2008 12:26.42.637] Update process returned error code :error(1603) Fatal error during installation.
    . Possible causes are running free version of coinstaller on checked version of OS or vice versa. Look at the Kmdf documentation as to what steps need to be followed to install the correct versionof the coinstaller

C:\Windows\vmguestsetup.log

==============> Begin Log 2008/08/21 17:26:36 UTC

MUI file loaded
    Parsing command line...
    Command line parsing complete
    Verifying execution environment
    OS Version      = 5.2
    OS SP Level     = 2
    OS Platform ID  = 2
    OS Product Type = 3
    Processor Arch  = 0
    Processor Count = 1
    Detected previous installation; asking user to confirm
    User confirmed installation
    All clear
    Starting the restart dialog killer thread
    Restart dialog killer ready
    Creating progress dialog
    Dialog created
    ProgressMessage = 49485
    Creating worker thread
    Worker thread created
    Windows Directory = C:\WINDOWS
    Waiting for worker thread
    System32 Directory = C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Drivers Directory = C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    Application Directory = D:\support\x86
    System Default Language = en-us (ENU)
    HAL found at C:\WINDOWS\inf\hal.inf
    About to load DLL D:\support\x86\WdfCoInstaller01005.dll
    About to call preinstall
    Preinstall failed with error 00000643
    Detected worker thread exit
    Worker thread error code = 00000643

C:\Windows\Wdf01005Inst.log

0.437: 2008/08/21 12:26:42.356 (local)
    0.437: c:\89ff5467c9f232439bbb\update\update.exe (version 6.3.4.0)
    0.437: Hotfix started with following command line: /quiet
    0.437: In Function GetBuildType, line 1170, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2
    0.453:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdf01000.sys is Present
    0.453: FileVersion of C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdf01000.sys is Greater Than 1.5.5600.0
    0.453: Condition Check for Line 1 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
    0.453: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    0.453: Wdf01005 Setup encountered an error:  Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install Wdf01005 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\Wdf01005Inst.log
    0.453: ReadStringFromInf: UpdSpGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    0.453: Setup cannot continue because one or more prerequisites required to install Wdf01005 failed. For More details check the Log File c:\windows\Wdf01005Inst.log
    0.453: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f4
    0.453: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

Teenage angst has paid of well, now I'm bored and old.
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 5:40 PM
  • I had a similar issue migrating a server 2008 machine and a vista machine.

I fixed both of them by having the system do a HAL re-detection upon boot.

Go into Configuration manager (msconfig.exe) and flag the system to do a HAL re-detect.  Then, REBOOT.

See steps 12-14  in this blog post: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/windows-server/migrate-microsoft-virtual-server-2005-r2-vm-to-windows-server-2008-hyper-v/
    --Chuck
    • Edited by Chuck vdL Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:25 PM fixed typo
    • Proposed as answer by Chuck vdL Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:26 PM
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:24 PM
  • still no solution here?

have the same problem as described by ComfortablySad - W2K3 R2 SP2 x64 - "An error has occurred: Fatal error during installation."
    And
    'Preinstall failed with error 00000643' in the vmguestsetup.log

The proposed hal detection solution only works with vista/windows server 2008
    • Proposed as answer by rajuv Monday, March 30, 2009 7:11 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Mike Sterling [MSFT] said:

Does this happen on a clean install?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

How is this the answer? It is a question, and doesn't solve the problem.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Hi everybody,

I had exactly the same problem and i found a solution.

First Take a snapshot if it's not already done because we never know what is gonna happen :),

then simply delete (or rename) two file on the guest machine

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdf01000.sys and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdfldr.sys

After that,you just need to reinstall the integration services.

It worked for a guest machine Windows 2003 R2 SP2 who is on a microsoft hyper-V server.
    • Proposed as answer by a_Fab Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I don't know how you figured out how to delete or rename these two files, but it worked for me. 

When I was attempting to install integration services, it would throw an error attempting to install the "Windows Driver Framework."  I would get an error "The system cannot find the file specified." 

Did you find something in a log somewhere?
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Magic...It worked for me too.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Yes, deleting/renaming those 2 files worked for me too.

For me, I was re-applying the Integration Services because I did a disaster recovery restore over some base VMs which had the 2 files already there.  The restore overwrote or changed the OS away from many of the Integration Services drivers so I needed to re-install Integration Services.  The 2 files there seemed to be the same as the ones Integration services was trying to install.

The Integration Services install routine must have a bug in it in such that it can't tell that the files existing are the same.

Maybe some of the Microsoft employees here can report this and at least get a KB article written up about this.

• Edited by Seafire888 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:47 AM grammar
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:46 AM
  • I have the problem described above,
    Host Platform W2008_R2 build 7000
    Guest Win2003 Enterprise edition

I have tried the methods described above (deleting files) reboot, etc but still have the error:

integration services update process returned error code 1603

Searching technet and so on reveals no additional information, can anyone point me in the rught direction ?

Wilf
    • Proposed as answer by rajuv Monday, March 30, 2009 7:12 PM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:53 AM
  • I had the "An error has occured: Fatal error during installation." problem and the following procedure helped.

Go into Hyper-V manager. Select the virtual Machine (mine was Server 2003) and settings.
    From the settings window, go to the Management section and click on Integration services.
    On the right window uncheck all the boxes (Operation system shutdown etc) and select apply.
    Restart the virtual machine and logon.
    Now select Action menu and insert integration services setup disk.
    It should automatically start the setup and complete without errors.
    raven
    • Proposed as answer by GeoffCourts Friday, July 11, 2014 1:10 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 7:20 PM
  • I had the "An error has occured: Fatal error during installation." problem and the following procedure helped.

Go into Hyper-V manager. Select the virtual Machine (mine was Server 2003) and settings.
    From the settings window, go to the Management section and click on Integration services.
    On the right window uncheck all the boxes (Operation system shutdown etc) and select apply.
    Restart the virtual machine and logon.
    Now select Action menu and insert integration services setup disk.
    It should automatically start the setup and complete without errors.
    raven

Sorry Raven, that did not work for me, Still struggling with older VM's
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Deleting the two files solved the problem for me as well - great find.

(As Google got no hits on Installing windows driver framework I'm adding the string here for future searchers...)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:45 PM
  • My fix was different.  Tried deleting the two files above which on reboot resulted in a Stop 7B.  Applied snapshot, rebooted, and noted in Device Manager the VMBus device had a yellow warning.  Uninstalled that device, rebooted, and everything fell into place.

Friday, August 28, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Same issue here. Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V. I have a VM running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise 32-bit. I go to upgrade the integration services and I get the error code 1603. I cannot remove the two files mentioned below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdf01000.sys and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\wdfldr.sys

Because it tells me they are in use. I also tried disabling all integration services features like suggested, but that did nothing.

When I try to run "setup.exe /uninstall" from a command prompt, it just launches the same installer that fails with the same error code 1603.
    I was able to install on a Windows Server 2003 VM fine, as well as another Windows Server 2008 R2 VM.

Any new ideas?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:43 PM
  • I have the same issue. I know this is an old thread but...

Make sure the environment variables, specifically the TEMP and TMP variables point to an existing location.

• Proposed as answer by snyd0r Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:02 PM

Make sure the environment variables, specifically the TEMP and TMP variables point to an existing location.

This did the trick!

Thanks a lot for this information.

My Setup:

Windows Server 2008 R2 + HYPER-V & P2V Windows Server 2003 R2 as guest.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Tommy Noble Friday, March 24, 2017 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:15 PM

This did the trick!

Thanks a lot for this information.

My Setup:

Windows Server 2008 R2 + HYPER-V & P2V Windows Server 2003 R2 as guest.

Cheers

Thanks! This was it.

the problem is,

if the VM can't find the HDD on startup, where the target TMP/TEMP variable is set to, HYPER-V Components cant be installed.

For example, if you attach the HDD via SCSI Bus, the VM needs the driver from HYPER-V Components. it's a bad circle.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:44 AM

And make sure to delete the contents of your temp folder! I had a valid temp folder, was receiving error 1618 and once I deleted everything from windows\temp, the install completed ok. I think it was because I was trying to push updates from SCVMM first (from 2008 hyperv server) that failed, then went to my 2008 R2 server and tried to install the integration components. I think the 2008 server tried to push old files and couldn't get past that until manually deleted.
    MCSE MCDBA
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I had a doosey like this as well, and I tried EVERYTHING on all the forums and nothing worked. I had a Win2k3 R2 x64 SP2 server that I used Disk2VHD with the prep check box checked and moved it into a HyperV box running Win2k8 R2 x64 SP1, whatever I tried the Integration services install crashed with error 1603 right at the point of installing Guest Services.

So, this is what I did to work around it, cause all I really cared about was getting the synthetic NIC drivers installed.

Mount the Intigration Services ISO by choosing install intigration components option on the guest window tool bar.

Let the install error out.

Copy the x64 enu folder onto the local hdd of the guest.

look in the folder and extract the blahblahblah6.1.cab file so all the contents are available and decompressed.

Go to device manager and rightclick on that pesky unknown device that you THINK is the ethernet controller (but its not)

Get to the point where you can choose Have Disk for the driver install and browse to the folder that indicates an SMBUS driver (if your keen your eyes will lead you to it)

Let that install, then watch out cause it will start nailing you with a whole bunch of New Hardware founds. Go through each one getting to the have disk and work your way down the list of Folders that you decompressed until you get the right driver files. If you choose the wrong one, simpley click back on the dialog box and choose a different folder. Once it finds the driver *.inf file it likes it will install it.

Once the installs are all finished, simply reboot and your system will work!

Whew... I normally don't share much on these forums, but this one had me pinned for at least 4 hours and I could not let another tech suffer as I did..

Good Luck!

Now where's that VMware disk......... ;)

Brian A Bohanna
    • Edited by BrianBohanna Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by BrianBohanna Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:46 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Copy the x64 enu folder onto the local hdd of the guest.

look in the folder and extract the blahblahblah6.1.cab file so all the contents are available and decompressed.

I had 2003 SP, so i extracted blaah6.0.cab

but I had to install drivers using safe mode

Jako
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:46 AM
  • I fixed this by creating a new folder 'Temp' in C:\Windows. Since I had no mouse control, I had to send ALT&CTRL&DEL to open task manager, pressed ALT&F to expand File menu, selected Start new task and typed C:\Windows

I then pressed ALT &F in the explorer window, selected New > Folder type TEMP and press enter.

Using Hyper-V I inserted the integration disk and hey presto! Fixed.

• Proposed as answer by Robclarke41 Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Thank you Chuck you saved my day!

MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008, MCITP: Database Developer 2008, MCITP: Database Administrator 2008, MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5, MCTS: SharePoint 2010, Configuration Charter Member, MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Workflow Foundation Applications, MCTS: Microsoft Windows Vista: Configuration, Microsoft® Certified Trainer 2010

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:59 PM
  • I noticed during startup that a new instance of Windows had been added. I was presented with the options of Disk2vhd or Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Switching to the latter allowed everything to install normally.
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Thank you JimF-A.  I followed your suggested steps and it worked for me.
    Monday, August 12, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Thank you very much for sharing this! I took a snapshot of my virtual machine and renamed the files wdf01000.sys and wdfldr.sys and I was able to reinstall Integration Services. And I am back in business. Thanks again!
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:10 PM
  • I had a similar issue with a few Windows 2003 SP2 virtual machines.

The Hyper-V virtual machine bus had a yellow exclamation mark on it in device manager and a number of the components were missing.  The mouse wouldn't work when I connected to the console. 

If I tried to install the Hyper-V Integration Services by using setup.exe I would get a message that the latest version was already installed.  I wanted to uninstall the Hyper-V integration services but when I went into Add/Remove Programs it was not present.

What solved it for me was that I inserted the Integration Services Setup Disk, then manually browsed into the support\x86 folder and double-clicked on "Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi" and then it installed successfully.

• Proposed as answer by chucky12234 Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:02 PM
  • I had a Windows 2003 SP2 system that had previously been converted P2V and running on a Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V host system.  We experienced the 1603 error when moving it to a Windows 2012 Hyper-V server.  I tried all the various solutions mentioned here but none of them would resolve the issue. In the end I had to uninstall the v 6.1.x Hyper-V Integration Components and reboot.  Then I was able to trigger the installation of the 6.2.x versions and get them to install correctly.

Systems Administrator Senior - University of Central Florida

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:52 PM
  • I had a similar issue with a few Windows 2003 SP2 virtual machines.

The Hyper-V virtual machine bus had a yellow exclamation mark on it in device manager and a number of the components were missing.  The mouse wouldn't work when I connected to the console. 

If I tried to install the Hyper-V Integration Services by using setup.exe I would get a message that the latest version was already installed.  I wanted to uninstall the Hyper-V integration services but when I went into Add/Remove Programs it was not present.

What solved it for me was that I inserted the Integration Services Setup Disk, then manually browsed into the support\x86 folder and double-clicked on "Windows5.x-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.msi" and then it installed successfully.

...for me the same ! tks to you now all work ! great!
    • Proposed as answer by JRBlood Sunday, August 17, 2014 9:13 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Cheers - worked for me on an old SBS 2003 server

Geoff Courts, Operations Manager, Macnamara ICT www.macnamara-ictt

Friday, July 11, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Awesome thanks mate, nothing else worked for me!
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:40 AM
  • Well done!  Worked like a charm for XP SP3 on Sever 2012.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 1:00 PM