none
failed to create memory content file hyper-v

Question

• When trying to start a Hyper-V server we received this error.

Failed to create memory contents file ‘C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\….(some numbers)…\..morenumbers.bin’ of size 2048MB.

my Drive C: Only has 1GB Free Space and my Drive D: Which hosts my .VHD Files Only has 6GB Free Space

Each Of My 5 Virtual Machines has a 50GB .VHD File On Drive D:

What Should I Do? None Of My Virtual Machines does not start

This Error Occured When I Restarted My Server after shutting down all VMs,

Thanks a lot

Sunday, November 18, 2012 6:02 PM

Answers

• Your vhds are located at the D drive, but your virtual machine path is ‘C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\….(some numbers)…etc... This is also the virtual machine store for configuration files, snapshot files (if nothing else is specified and VM working folder in general (bin, vsv files).

The virtual machine path is selected when creating a VM (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines is the suggested default path), so you either need to create new virtual machines with the D: (or whatever drive that has enough space) path specified, or export the VMs and import them back into Hyper-V from the desired location.

An export will move the vhd files, while creating new VMs without any additional vhds except attaching the existing vhds that are already in place, will be a lot quicker.

The usage of .bin files is a part of the Hyper-V technology, and is not optional.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi!

You need to allocate additional free disk space. Either expand the C drive, or create new VMs at the D: drive, and attach the existing VHD files. The proper procedure would be to export/import, or perform an configuration only export, to retain VM configuration, but creating the VMs from scratch at the right location will be a lot quicker.

Each VM will have a bin file the same size as the amount of RAM allocated to it. Make sure that your hard drive have enough free space, or extend/add additional drives.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi Mr. Mike

Each of my 5 VHD Files are 50GB , all Of them are in Drive D: , Drive D: has 6GB Left Free Space

and Drive C: free Space is about 1GB

So I can not expand my Drives

How Can Tell Hyper-V not to Create .Bin Files? Is it possible?

Thanks a lot

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Your vhds are located at the D drive, but your virtual machine path is ‘C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines\….(some numbers)…etc... This is also the virtual machine store for configuration files, snapshot files (if nothing else is specified and VM working folder in general (bin, vsv files).

The virtual machine path is selected when creating a VM (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Virtual Machines is the suggested default path), so you either need to create new virtual machines with the D: (or whatever drive that has enough space) path specified, or export the VMs and import them back into Hyper-V from the desired location.

An export will move the vhd files, while creating new VMs without any additional vhds except attaching the existing vhds that are already in place, will be a lot quicker.

The usage of .bin files is a part of the Hyper-V technology, and is not optional.

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:39 PM