none
PowerShell Launch Error After Upgrade

Question

• I was having problems connecting to Microsoft Online Services Module for Windows PowerShell. I was then directed to upgrade PowerShell. After upgrading I get the following message when trying to launch PowerShell:

"Attempting to perform the InitializeDefaultDrives operation on the 'FileSystem' provider failed.

To date I have found no resolution. 

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this issue?

Friday, March 15, 2013 4:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Its sounds to get to me like Powershell had an issue connect one of the PSDrives. What happens when you run Get-PSDrive? Do all your fixed, removeable, and map drives show under root?

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Well, I think so. The Local Disk C and the Network Drive B both show up under Root. There is a red X over the network drives but we see that all the time and can still access files from within. It currently reads as disconnected network drive. Should I try to map to the server? Will this make a difference?
    Friday, March 15, 2013 8:13 PM
  • I have run into issues, on Win 7 when trying to access a network drvie through powershell, I get an error. If I open My Computer, you have the red X as if it is in a disconnected state, I simply double click it, and then after that, I can access the drive through powershell

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Yeah, Im pretty sure since it mentions the Filesystem Provider is has something to do with Powershell trying to create a PSDrive for a disk that is techincally disconnected as far as it is concerned. The PSDrive just gives a shortcut for querying and manipulating certain resources..I wonder if you close Powershell and map or completely disconnect the drives if the error /warning will return when you start a new Powershell session

Friday, March 15, 2013 8:22 PM
  • The disk may appear disconnected but it really isn't. Given that I am able to run cmdlets despite the 'FailedSystems' error I get when I launch PowerShell I've continued with my work. My concern is whether or not one day this will pose as an issue.  I'm thinking no but this is not my area of expertise so it's hard for me to be certain.
    Monday, March 18, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Hi,

This error is typically displayed by PowerShell when you either do not have access (e.g. due to permissions) to some of your drives or have something like SoftGrid installed.

Please refer to the below articles:

http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-windows-powershell/180540-initializedefaultdrives-error-message-startup.html 

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnsheehan/archive/2007/11/27/a-very-powershell-thanksgiving.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

Cataleya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:54 AM