none
Printer installation error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a print queue on a Server 2008 print server.  The drivers for the printer were installed on the 2008 box by “pushing them up” from a Windows 7 machine using the Print Management snap-in as described by Miles Zhang on this page

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverprint/thread/371d844e-2d6e-48f5-b31c-61d53f1e242a

Non-privileged users on Windows 7 and Vista machines can connect to the 2008 Server print queue.  However, non-privileged users on Windows XP are not able to connect.  If a non-privileged user tries to install it using the add printer interface they get the message

A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue.  Please contact your system administrator.

If non-privileged user  tries to install it from a .vbs script containing the command

MyNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection strNewPrinter

they get

Error: Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy.  For more information, open Event Viewer or contact your system administrator.

Code: 800704EC

Source: (null)

If the printer is first installed on the XP box by a domain admin, then non-privleged users can install the printer without difficulty.  I don’t believe I have set any software restriction policies.  Is there some policy that I need to change to get this to work?  I have Point and Print Restrictions Enabled with the options

Users can only point and print to these servers ( not selected)

Users can only point and print to machines in their forest (not selected)

When installing drivers for a new connection “Do not show warning or elevation prompt”

When updating drivers for an existing connection “Do not show warning or elevation prompt”

I'm guessing this has something to do with the Windows 7 drivers.  I have not had this difficulty with other drivers.

Thanks for your help.

Curt Finley

Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:12 AM

Answers

• You will need to update the Point and Print restrictions policy that applies to XP.   From the previous post, the policy is for Vista and greater machines so XP machine will have the default so I assume the clients are not in the same domain as the print server
    When the policy setting is not-configured, it defaults to allowing point and print only within the client’s forest.

Under Users
    Control Panel
    Printers

Point and Print Restrictions

This policy setting restricts the servers that a client can connect to for point and print. The policy setting applies only to non Print Administrators clients, and only to machines that are members of a domain.

When the policy setting is enabled, the client can be restricted to only point and print to a server within its own forest, and/or to a list of explicitly trusted servers.

When the policy setting is not-configured, it defaults to allowing point and print only within the client’s forest.

When the policy setting is disabled, client machines can point and print to any server. 

Alan Morris
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Curt,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that the following error message is received when the non-privileged user tries to install the network printer from the VBscript on Windows XP-based machines.

Error: Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy.  For more information, open Event Viewer or contact your system administrator.

Code: 800704EC

Source: (null)

In this case, please create a new non-privileged user to check this issue again. In this way, we can check if this issue is related to the problematic user.

Meanwhile, please collect the Setup&Performance version of MPSReport from the problematic client machine.

a. Download the MPS Report Tool from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd915706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE

b. After the download is complete, double-click this " MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE" file. Then a CAB file will be generated called %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. For example, if your computer name is "MyComputer", this CAB file will be named "MyComputer_MPSReports.CAB".

c. Open My Computer, browse to the "%systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Logs\CAB" folder. You can find the CAB file above and please send it to me.

Use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address.

Hope this helps.

Monday, November 9, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  I created a new account and got the same results.  I generated the file you requested.  I'm not sure what you require for the download address.  Does this work?

http://cid-31340f5ea7f6376b.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/CCCALVERT%5E_MPSReports.CAB

I've tried installing this printer on three different computers and two different non-privleged accounts with the same results.

Curt
    Monday, November 9, 2009 10:39 PM
  • You will need to update the Point and Print restrictions policy that applies to XP.   From the previous post, the policy is for Vista and greater machines so XP machine will have the default so I assume the clients are not in the same domain as the print server

Under Users
    Control Panel
    Printers

Point and Print Restrictions

This policy setting restricts the servers that a client can connect to for point and print. The policy setting applies only to non Print Administrators clients, and only to machines that are members of a domain.

When the policy setting is enabled, the client can be restricted to only point and print to a server within its own forest, and/or to a list of explicitly trusted servers.

When the policy setting is disabled, client machines can point and print to any server. 

Alan Morris
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:36 PM
  • Disabling Point and Print Restrictions in BOTH the User Configuration and Computer Configuration solved the problem.  Thanks for your help.

Curt

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:29 AM