none
VM failed to change state, failed to start, repeated corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I have a virtual machine that has repeatedly been corrupted when performing basic tasks. I restore the virtual machine daily to perform software testing and have run into it being unable to change state or start. The steps I take are as follows.

1. shut down and wait for the VM to stop
    2. select the previous snapshot to apply
    3. apply the snapshot and wait for it to apply
    4. start the VM

I've run into these problems repeatedly during steps 1, 3, and 4. At first we discovered that Service Pack 1 was installed on the host, so we updated the clients to SP1 and this appeared to fix the problems. They've become less frequent, but recently it continues to become corrupted. Occasionally the name of the VM will change to that of the snapshot I was attempting to apply.

The host is running Server 2008 R2, and I have clients on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.

An example of the message I receive is:

An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine(s).
    'VM.2008.R2.a' failed to start.
    'VM.2008.R2.a' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID 8AEF1844-016C-4F21-98BF-1D151B77ED21)
    The Virtual Machines configuration 8AEF1844-016C-4F21-98BF-1D151B77ED21 at 'C:\Virtual Machines\VM.2008.R2.a' is no longer accessible: The requested operation cannot be performed on the file with a user-mapped section open. (0x800704C8)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:35 PM

Answers

• The error code 0x800704C8 is telling you that another process has a section of the file locked.  That screams AV.  A simple search of support.microsoft.com with the keywords Hyper-v and the error code results in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961804

Which gives more detailed AV exclusions and information, as well a note about potention configuration file corruption from AV and advice to restore the VM from backup or recreate it.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:43 AM

All replies

• Couple questions:

Have you upgraded the Integration Services in the snapshot that you keep returning to?  (not just apply SP1).

Is there antivirus running on the Hyper-V Server?

Are you performing these tasks manually or using a script?  If it is a scripted it sounds like a timing issue.

Also, is there an ISO or physical DVD attached to the snapshot that you keep returning to?

Ans, are you reverting back (thus tossing away the now) or are you taking a new snapshot (to preserve the state) and applying a previous?

Have you tried exporting the snapshot you are returning to as a new VM, importing this new VM, verifying it is good, and beginning with creating new shapshots from it?

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Have you upgraded the Integration Services in the snapshot that you keep returning to?  (not just apply SP1).

Not in a while that I know of, I ran those again.

Is there antivirus running on the Hyper-V Server?

Yes, I thought I'd checked that it was excluding the virtual machines folder, but it was not. Hopefully this or the Integration Services fixed my problems.

Are you performing these tasks manually or using a script?  If it is a scripted it sounds like a timing issue.

I've run into this both through scripts and manually.

Also, is there an ISO or physical DVD attached to the snapshot that you keep returning to?

No there is not.

Ans, are you reverting back (thus tossing away the now) or are you taking a new snapshot (to preserve the state) and applying a previous?

Yes, just reverting back. I don't take a new snapshot when I apply the old one.

Have you tried exporting the snapshot you are returning to as a new VM, importing this new VM, verifying it is good, and beginning with creating new shapshots from it?

Those are the steps I take whenever I need to restore the backup of the VM.

Thank you for the help, I'll see if it continues to have problems at all. Since this is intermittent I'm not sure if it will be fixed right away.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:46 PM
  • If I were a betting man, I'd go with door number 2.  I don't know which AV you're using, however:

1. Exclude the following processes from AV scanning:

VMMS.EXE

VMWP.EXE

2. Exclude the root directory that contain your Virtual machines and configuration files

3. Exclude the following files extensions - VHD, VSV, ISO, AVHD, VFD, and XML.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:01 PM
  • 1.EXPORT THE VM TO DIFFERENT LOCATION(EXTERNAL DISK)

2.DELETE THE SNAPSHOT AND RESTART THE SERVER

3.CHECK WEATHER ITS WORKING PROPERLY

4.EXCLUDE RELEVANT PROCESSES FROM AV AS JOHN MENTIONED

5.CHECK WEATHER ITS WORKING PROPERLY

6.RUN THE EXPORETED VM ON DIFFERENT BOX AND CHECK WEATHER THATS WORKING PROPERLY

Darshana Jayathilake

Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:46 AM
  • The error code 0x800704C8 is telling you that another process has a section of the file locked.  That screams AV.  A simple search of support.microsoft.com with the keywords Hyper-v and the error code results in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961804

Which gives more detailed AV exclusions and information, as well a note about potention configuration file corruption from AV and advice to restore the VM from backup or recreate it.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Thanks! I missed excluding those processes. I added those in and I hope this resolves the problem.
    Monday, March 19, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Disconnecting the DVD Drive on the snapshot fixed the problem for me.
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 6:05 PM
  • Thanks, John. I was having heart failure when none of my VM's would start and your post reminded me that there was an offsite backup services running which had the VHD(X) files locked. Stopping the offsite backup service allowed me to start all my VM's after which I restarted the offsite backup service.

Gratefully,

Vinh

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:55 PM