none
Virtual iSCSI drives in a Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a question regarding failover clusters.  I am new to the world of failover clusters and I am currently looking into this as option for our school so that students can use virtual machines to build software for the new curriculum, without the restrictions of our physical network.  I have set up a test environment, and this is what we have so far:

2 x Server 2012 physical tin servers, both with 2 x 500gb SATA drives each to be used for storage and 1 500gb drive for OS

each has VMware 9 on and another instance of server 2012 installed.

Both have virtual HDD's created within VMware on each of the 500gb drives to replicate iSCSI drives.

From there, the 2 virtual servers have the following roles installed: Hyper-V, Failover Cluster & iSCSI target roles/features installed.  The iSCSI targets have both been configured and new iSCSI virtual hdd's have been created within the virtual HDD's that VMware created and both are talking fine and listing disks etc in that.

I then ran the validation for creating a failover cluster and everything passed including the listing of disks with the exception of a warning about the fact that we only have one NIC installed on each and that it is a single point of failure, which is fine as we are only testing to see if this works.

The next step was to set up the cluster through the wizard which was created fine.  The problem that I have is that when I try to add the disks in the Cluster manager, it is saying that there are no disks available, however, the validation says it was ok.  Is the way I am trying to do this actually not supported or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi all, I have a question regarding failover clusters.  I am new to the world of failover clusters and I am currently looking into this as option for our school so that students can use virtual machines to build software for the new curriculum, without the restrictions of our physical network.  I have set up a test environment, and this is what we have so far:

2 x Server 2012 physical tin servers, both with 2 x 500gb SATA drives each to be used for storage and 1 500gb drive for OS

each has VMware 9 on and another instance of server 2012 installed.

Both have virtual HDD's created within VMware on each of the 500gb drives to replicate iSCSI drives.

From there, the 2 virtual servers have the following roles installed: Hyper-V, Failover Cluster & iSCSI target roles/features installed.  The iSCSI targets have both been configured and new iSCSI virtual hdd's have been created within the virtual HDD's that VMware created and both are talking fine and listing disks etc in that.

I then ran the validation for creating a failover cluster and everything passed including the listing of disks with the exception of a warning about the fact that we only have one NIC installed on each and that it is a single point of failure, which is fine as we are only testing to see if this works.

The next step was to set up the cluster through the wizard which was created fine.  The problem that I have is that when I try to add the disks in the Cluster manager, it is saying that there are no disks available, however, the validation says it was ok.  Is the way I am trying to do this actually not supported or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

If it's a no brainer proof of concept cluster then you don't need two physical hosts. Run two VMs of Windows Server 2012 and one VM to feed shared storage (iSCSI i guess) to both of them. For production you need either third-party software mirroring DAS (physical or emulated) and creating fault tolerant SAN from it (something VMware VSA does) or you need to have physical shared storage.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:43 PM