none
WSUS Updates Overview all showing with no status. RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed today on the WSUS console that under the Update Overview section, 2,574 updates are showing with no status.

All Updates
    With Errors: 31
    Needed: 145
    Installed/Applicable is greyed out, and is zero.
    No Status: 2574

On the Computer Overview section, they are showing up mostly correct.

All Computers
    With Errors: 18
    Needing Updates: 116
    Installed/No Applicable: 272
    No Status: 157

So what's going on with the WSUS server?

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:24 PM

Answers

• There's really only one possible explanation -- the database is FUBAR.

The question is whether you have any reasonable idea of why this might have happened,
    and whether you have a backup of the database to restore from to test the theory.

There's no known reason why 2500+ updates would change status to "No Status",
    nor any known reason why updates that are surely Installed/Not Applicable,
    would suddenly quit reporting as such ....

except that something catastrophic has happened to the database.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:21 PM

All replies

• So no one has any idea why all of the updates in WSUS are showing as no status?
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:35 PM

• There's really only one possible explanation -- the database is FUBAR.

The question is whether you have any reasonable idea of why this might have happened,
    and whether you have a backup of the database to restore from to test the theory.

There's no known reason why 2500+ updates would change status to "No Status",
    nor any known reason why updates that are surely Installed/Not Applicable,
    would suddenly quit reporting as such ....

except that something catastrophic has happened to the database.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Well, I noticed the same thing on my WSUS box, and the FUBAR response shown here had me panicking...almost.  My "Computers" summary has lots of green; just none on the "Updates". 

Then I saw this reply to a similar issue by someone named "yerma"...makes much more sense - http://www.wsus.info/index.php?showtopic=10034&pid=36542&start=&st=#entry36542

The reason that this happens is that the general overview omits updates and computers which haven't reported yet AND any update has an "unknown state" if only one computer hasn't sent a status report and no other computer needs this update.

An example: Let's say we have ten computers and three updates update A, B and C. Update A is installed on all ten computers, update B is needed only by 5 of them (but not yet installed), update C is not needed at all.

Your server would show you: the circle for computers would be half yellow (5 comp.) and half green (5 comp.). The circle for updates would be 1/3 yellow (update B) and 2/3 green (update A and C).

Now we add an 11th computer. It has connected to the WSUS server but hasn't sent a status report yet.

Your server would show you: the circle for computers would be half yellow (5 comp.) and half green (5 comp.). Note that the 11th computer won't appear!
    The circle for updates would be completely yellow (for update B) and update A and C are not taken into account.

If you want a correct overview, you should take care that every computer not only connects but send a status report as well.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Well, I noticed the same thing on my WSUS box, and the FUBAR response shown here had me panicking...almost.  My "Computers" summary has lots of green; just none on the "Updates". 

Then I saw this reply to a similar issue by someone named "yerma"...makes much more sense - http://www.wsus.info/index.php?showtopic=10034&pid=36542&start=&st=#entry36542

The reason that this happens is that the general overview omits updates and computers which haven't reported yet AND any update has an "unknown state" if only one computer hasn't sent a status report and no other computer needs this update.

An example: Let's say we have ten computers and three updates update A, B and C. Update A is installed on all ten computers, update B is needed only by 5 of them (but not yet installed), update C is not needed at all.

Your server would show you: the circle for computers would be half yellow (5 comp.) and half green (5 comp.). The circle for updates would be 1/3 yellow (update B) and 2/3 green (update A and C).

Now we add an 11th computer. It has connected to the WSUS server but hasn't sent a status report yet.

Your server would show you: the circle for computers would be half yellow (5 comp.) and half green (5 comp.). Note that the 11th computer won't appear!
    The circle for updates would be completely yellow (for update B) and update A and C are not taken into account.

If you want a correct overview, you should take care that every computer not only connects but send a status report as well.

While the explanation certainly makes more sense... let's consider a couple more points:

1. The post you cite is from 2006 and applies to WSUS v2, not WSUS v3; and WSUS v2 did not provide graphical statistics for NO STATUS updates or computers.
    2. The post was made by a brand new user at wsus.info, so I have to take the statement with a grain of salt. (Furthermore, I don't have an active WSUS v2 to validate the statements against, anyway, but I'm not entirely positive that the explanation is accurate. If the new computer had not sent a status report, then the Pie Charts would have NO CHANGES as a result of that computer's existence. Only *AFTER* the new computer sends a status report will that statistical data be incorporated into the Pie Charts.)

As for the offered explanation, as relates to WSUS v3 (not WSUS v2), on a WSUS v3 system, the pie charts for "All Updates" and "All Computers" have *FOUR* classifications, and one of them explicitly enumerates the counts for "Updates with no status" and "Computers with no status"; thus the above explanation - in any circumstance - is not relevant to this scenario on a WSUS v3 system.

In the case of the original poster's statements, computers *HAVE* detected with this WSUS Server, and not all updates have a "No Status", but more than 90% of them do. Of the *computers* that have reported (563 of them), 28% of them are reporting "No Status". These numbers are simply very difficult to fathom in a healthy WSUS server environment, thus my initial response that the database is probably FUBAR -- and, lacking any evidence to the contrary in the six months hence, I'll stand by that analysis.

All Updates
    With Errors: 31
    Needed: 145
    Installed/Applicable is greyed out, and is zero.
    No Status: 2574

On the Computer Overview section, they are showing up mostly correct.

All Computers
    With Errors: 18
    Needing Updates: 116
    Installed/No Applicable: 272
    No Status: 157

The *only* scenario in which this could reasonably, and healthily,  occur is on a BRAND NEW WSUS server with hundreds of clients that have registered but not yet completed a full detection -- which would generally only occur if [a] numerous clients were performing selfupdates, or [b] there were some other critical deficiency in client-to-server communication resulting in the failure of a third of the clients from successfully detecting.

So, in an UNhealthy environment, it is possible that a MASS client dysfunction could also cause these results.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:48 PM