none
Weird session hanging in Remote Desktop/Remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• I do the IT work for a local small business. A few months ago the owner decided to change from one software vendor to another. The previous was a web based application and the new one is accessed through Remote Desktop/Remote Access to a Windows 2008 R2 server. All of our desktops run the latest up-to-date versions of Windows 10, all are HP computers, all get about 50mbps down and 20mbps up. We went live with the system on the first of the month however since the beginning our client desktops will experience odd session hanging/freezing seemingly randomly. I will bring up another program(Google Chrome, Outlook, etc) for a few minutes and go back and it will be "frozen". Although this is inconsistent as I can do the same thing for longer and it won't hang/freeze. When this happens I'll kill the app in task manager. Then I go through the log in process again and it brings up the session just how it was before it "froze" saying something along the lines of "Are you sure you want to restart the connection" with yes and no options. I'll then hit no to continue the previous session and it is like it never happened. This only takes a minute but this happens 10-20 times a day for each of my users and they are getting frustrated.

The vendor says they are working to find a solution and that our problem is unique, however it has been a few weeks and they haven't really said much outside of normal troubleshooting efforts. I cannot do anything server side, that's on them, but on the client side I've tried just about everything I could think of or find. I've tried turning off/on just about every MSTSC setting there is, I've updated all drivers for everything(was specifically targeting network and graphics), I've disabled auto-tuning on the NIC, I've edited the registry to only only allow TCP connections in TS, I've reset our router, and I've tried other remote desktop apps. When we went live and noticed it happening we immediately did a Ping Monitor on one of our hosts for a week and ruled out network/internet issues. I've also remoted in to the server from a Windows 8 laptop from home and the issue was not present. Event viewer show nothing anywhere, it's like it isn't happening even though it is. 

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'm open to anything at this point. If not I'll wait around for the vendor to hopefully figure it out. 

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1.When checking frozen app in task manager, did you find any other pending services or process?

2. Have you got a chance to check event logs on client side when issue happened?

Event log checking:

TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager and TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager logs to view information about connections.

Step 1: Press Windows+R to open the Run dialog, enter eventvwr (or eventvwr.msc) and hit OK.

Step 2: Navigate to Event Viewer\ Applications and Services Logs\ Microsoft\ Windows\ TerminalServices-*

3. Have you checked how many users are simultaneously log on the remote session when issue happened?

Per my understanding, the users only use remote desktop and hang issue occurred randomly on some applications installed on the desktop not the remote app on web access. Please correct me if anything wrong.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 7:15 AM
  • Hello and thank you for the reply,

1. That's part of the weirdness, task manager shows everything running fine. The only difference I notice between the Remote Desktop Connection app when it is "unfrozen" versus "frozen" is that the only category that has activity when frozen is memory. CPU, Disk, and Network go to 0 and stay there until I kill it and log the session in again. 

2. I personally cannot find anything that stands out to me in Event Viewer. For the RemoteConnectionManager the only events are informational: 263(WDDM graphics are enabled) and 1136(RD Session Host Server role is not installed). For LocalSessionsManager they are also all informational: 21, 22, 23, 24(all standard log in/off stuff), 32(Plugin RDSAppsXPlugin has been successfully initialized), 34(Remote Desktop Services is not accepting logins because setup is running), 39(session # has been disconnected by session #), 40(session # has been disconnected, reason code 11), 41(begin session arbitration: user: desktop name session id: #) 42(end session arbitration: user: desktop name session id: #), and 54(local multi-user session manager received system shutdown message).

3. About 5 users. We only use remote desktop for this single app which is what hangs, everything else on the desktops run fine. 

Thank you,

Aaron

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 5:38 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

1.That's part of the weirdness, task manager shows everything running fine. The only difference I notice between the Remote Desktop Connection app when it is "unfrozen" versus "frozen" is that the only category that has activity when frozen is memory. CPU, Disk, and Network go to 0 and stay there until I kill it and log the session in again.

Did you also check the task manager in remote session? When remote session hang, you could use Ctrl+Alt+End to bring up the task manager and check the resource usage during remote session.

2. I personally cannot find anything that stands out to me in Event Viewer.

As the hang occurred when you used specific application, you could also check the event logs under application path on server.

3. It is also suggested to check server performance and improve if necessary.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 8:11 AM
  • When the remote session hangs ctrl+alt+end does not work. I've also recently noticed that after about 10 minutes of being "frozen" the session will say "trying to reconnect" and then will "unfreeze" and resume where it was. 

Thank you,

Aaron

• Edited by Aaron-PS Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:56 PM
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 5:18 PM
  • When this happens it appears that all the inputs into the remote session are being registered on the server side but the confirmation is not making it to the client computers. After a certain amount of time it may work itself out or I may have to kill the tasks. I think it may be an MTU issue but I have no idea how to fix it. 

Thank you,

Aaron

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:56 PM
  • Haven't had much luck with fixing this but as a note I did finally find some event viewer logs that may relate to this.

Event ID: 1002, level: Error, Source: Application Hang

Description: 

The program mstsc.exe version 10.0.18362.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
     Process ID: 1fb4
     Start Time: 01d56d865b35708a
     Termination Time: 4294967295
     Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe
     Report Id: 12c8b56f-f78a-44ef-953c-9528425b8329
     Faulting package full name: 
     Faulting package-relative application ID: 
     Hang type: Top level window is idle

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:04 PM
  • I've found another event viewer log that may relate to this:

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Windows Error Reporting
    - EventID 1001
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 4
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2019-09-25T17:10:08.900956000Z
    EventRecordID 5618
    Channel Application
    Computer DESKTOP- #####
    Security
    - EventData
    AppHangB1
    Not available
    mstsc.exe
    18c076ef
    b663
    \\?\C:\Users\Company Name\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7D4E.tmp.version.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7D5F.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7D7F.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7D7D.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER7D9D.tmp.txt \\?\C:\Users\Company Name\AppData\Local\Temp\WER7D9F.tmp.xml WERGenerationLog.txt
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Critical_mstsc.exe_e9449f5c52a5ea4a5af499ef5af7dcbd34ab590_ded58892_cab_fd2334bb-fb23-4aee-8b5c-847ed0922e6a
    54677e53-985c-4a14-bc57-9755e6da2781

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:28 PM
  • Well the long awaited 1909 update did NOT fix this issue. I guess Microsoft really is trying to kill RDP.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:02 PM