none
Printing - Related Registry Keys RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm looking for good information on how printers are stored in the Windows registry. In particular, I'm interested in what gets stored in the following keys/subkeys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModePerUser
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModes2
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print

From what I can see

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers -> Stores info on locally attached printers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers -> Stores info on locally attached printers
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections -> Stores network mapped printers
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModes2 -> Stores preference changes you make to those network printers

ANy info would be much appreciated.

Note: I'm using a windows 7/2008 R2 environment

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi shocko,

here you go : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102966

I am using this one aswell.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:05 PM
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER stores user preferences for printers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print --- here stores the information of local printers. The printers listed in this subkey can be shared or can be accessible only to the host computer. The entries in this subkey are linked to the Print\Printers entries that appear in the SOFTWARE key. Changes made in the SOFTWARE key will be reflected in this subkey.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers --- here the Printers subkey contains information about the individual network printers to which the local computer is connected.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:54 PM

All replies

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER stores user preferences for printers.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print --- here stores the information of local printers. The printers listed in this subkey can be shared or can be accessible only to the host computer. The entries in this subkey are linked to the Print\Printers entries that appear in the SOFTWARE key. Changes made in the SOFTWARE key will be reflected in this subkey.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers --- here the Printers subkey contains information about the individual network printers to which the local computer is connected.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Is there any whitepaper with detailed information on this?

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:39 AM
  • Hi shocko,

here you go : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102966

I am using this one aswell.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:05 PM