none
Correct setting for disk caching RRS feed

• Question

• I've got Server 2008r2 and a RAID 1 array with two partitions. The RAID controller is not battery-backed and disk caching is currently enabled through Dell's software. The Windows Disk Management properties of the drive say "This device does not allow its write caching setting to be changed."

Since the controller doesn't have a battery, should I disable disk caching?

This came up because I saw event 32 on the server.

The driver detected that the device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 has its write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur.

Thanks.

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• The biggest problem is if registry writes don't always get flushed down to hive files then the os may not start back up because of registry corruption. Yes, I'd disable it.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Monday, December 6, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Disk cache help improving hard disk performance but it will also cause problem. For examle,  if computer crashed, the system may not have time to write data back to disk and cause data lose. Thus if safety is important than performance then disable disk cache.

Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:57 AM
  • When I look at the Policies tab of the disk properties, I see two check boxes. One says, "Enable write caching on the device" and the other say, "Turn off Windows write-caching buffer flushing on the device"

The second one is grey when I de-select the first. What's the difference?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:40 PM
  • These two articles may help explain this.

Slow Disk Performance When Write Caching Is Enabled
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332023

Obtain the Dskcache.exe tool to configure the "Power Protected" Write Cache option
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811392/en

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:55 AM
  • Alright, I guess I'm going to disable it because data integrity is most important. This won't require a reboot, right?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I'd guess it probably would require reboot.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:52 AM