• Question

• Hello!

I've got one domain controller in the forest named svc.loc

I've installed child domain named av.svc.loc

Here are settings of child domain:

https://yadi.sk/i/bO8PD_Vw3LEbt6

And parent:

https://yadi.sk/i/nR_T49hC3LEe5F

The problem is that dns query from svc.loc to domain av.svc.loc can't be resolved, but query to hosts in child domain are resolved without problems.

Is it okay or there is some way to solve it?

• Edited by r1sh Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:47 PM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not able to view the links, so cannot see your settings.

But, if you do a standard DC promo including DNS for your root domain, and the same with the child domain there will be created a delegation for 'av' in the 'svc.loc' zone (AD integrated) on your root DNS(DC) server.

The DNS(DC) server of the child (av.svc.loc) domain will by default have the DNS(DC) of the parrent (svc.loc) set as forwarder, hence the succes for querying from child to parrent.

How ever, you should be able to ping the child domain from the parrent right away (after dc promo) but the replication needs to 100 % before you can actually ping FQDN of the child DNS(DC).

Things you might check out-> the replication and firewall status, delegation for 'av', and if the zone is AD integrated.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

Friday, July 21, 2017 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not able to view the links, so cannot see your settings.

But, if you do a standard DC promo including DNS for your root domain, and the same with the child domain there will be created a delegation for 'av' in the 'svc.loc' zone (AD integrated) on your root DNS(DC) server.

The DNS(DC) server of the child (av.svc.loc) domain will by default have the DNS(DC) of the parrent (svc.loc) set as forwarder, hence the succes for querying from child to parrent.

How ever, you should be able to ping the child domain from the parrent right away (after dc promo) but the replication needs to 100 % before you can actually ping FQDN of the child DNS(DC).

Things you might check out-> the replication and firewall status, delegation for 'av', and if the zone is AD integrated.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

Thank you for your answer!

You're correct, I've re-installed DC role and everything works correctly.

Could you please help me with DNS best practice. I have 1 parent domain and i'm going to create 6 child domains. 

I want to point every client to parent dns.

According to this, which way is better:

1. Create condition forwarder from parent to child domain

2. Create DNS deligation from child to parent domain

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 8:05 AM