none
VSS issue that relates to backup routine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2008r2 server that is running Veritas Backup Exec and has been running for several years.  Unless something goes wrong the job status always shows "backup successful".  Starting on or around 5-9-19 I started getting a slightly different status that shows "success with exceptions".  I opened a ticket with Veritas support and after a little work with an engineer it was determined that my backups were actually running and backing up my files.  However, I felt like I needed to dig a little deeper and figure out what has changed on the server to effect the backup.

The following is the error I get from the backup log.   See it states an issue with VSS about another snapshot running.  I have not made any changes whatsoever to the server.   I had not even ran Windows updates until after I started having this issue.

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "F:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft
    Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11233 - VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume
    Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot
    can run at a time. Try running the job later.

I found some information saying to turn off any Shadow copies on shared volumes so I checked the settings on the server by right-clicking the drives on the server, Properties, Shadow copies.  As I thought I did NOT have any shadow copies enabled on this server.  But, one thing I did notice was a funny looking volume listed under drives like c:, d:, etc.  The funny looking volume is shown below.

\\?\Volume{d3969e0b-34db-11e0-b58c-806e6f6e6963}\

I have had problems with backups in the past and many times if you have a large external drive or something similar connected and the drive is not formatted GPT you will get some strange VSS issues that can show up with your backups like Veritas Backup Exec.

Can anyone tell me what this funny looking volume represents or what it is and how I can remove it in hopes it will clear up my "success with exceptions" error in my backup routine?

thanks
    Monday, May 20, 2019 8:04 PM

Answers

• I found a service that was running that was causing the error below.  It had to do with our 2nd Copy software that runs a nightly backup to copy changed files.  The funny thing is this software has been running for years on this server and I have not experienced the issue until recently.  If I stop the service my Backup Exec will run without any errors.  Start the service and the error comes back.  At least I now know what is causing the error and I can get some advice from 2nd copy support on what else I should do.  thanks

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "F:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft
    Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11233 - VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume
    Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, June 10, 2019 3:43 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

Based on this error, it looks like a backup tool has clashed with some processes, is there any error Event ID in Event Viewer? Such as 8193.

>>\\?\Volume{d3969e0b-34db-11e0-b58c-806e6f6e6963}\

This is the general naming of shadow copies. If you don't need it, I think we can delete it.

In addition, I found this link in the Veritas support community, you can refer to it:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100024937.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

It says the same thing as I expected above, This can occur when Backup Exec System Recovery or Symantec System Recovery (BESR or SSR) and Backup Exec (BE) backups conflict.

You can try the solutions mentioned in the link. Generally speaking, third-party backup tools have their own operating mechanism, so you need to communicate with experts of BE backup tools to understand its internal working mechanism.

Hope this can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

My server does not have the path mentioned in the link you reference
    \Program Files\veritas\Backup Exec System Recovery\Shared\Drivers

Mine does not have the Backup Exec System Recovery folder so even if I wanted to follow the article I cannot.

Do you have any other suggestions for me?  I don't have any idea how another VSS snapshop could be running during my normal backup.  I have had this backup in place for years.  I have made no changes but something has happened I just can't figure out what.

Veritas told me my backups are usable so not to worry about it but I would like to determine what has happened and correct it.

Please let me know what other information you have for me.  thanks

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:34 PM
  • >> Veritas told me my backups are usable so not to worry about it but I would like to determine what has happened and correct it.

As I said before, third-party backup tools have their own working mechanism, and we can't know how it works, so if you want to find out, you should contact Veritas experts.

In addition, if our backup is available now, we can also observe for a period of time to see if one day the backup will fail, and if there is one day, we will continue to troubleshoot with Veritas.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 6:11 AM
  • I am not really sure what you are saying. 

If you have anything further to provide please do so.
    Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:28 PM
  • I mean, if you want to find the root cause of this problem, you should ask Veritas technical support staff. We can't understand its working mechanism and give the root cause of this problem.

In addition, since backups are available now, our suggestion is to observe them for a while. Please understand that from the support level of our forum, we can only try our best to give some troubleshooting suggestions. The analysis of the root causes is beyond our support scope.

Thanks again for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:10 AM
  • thanks for the help.
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:49 PM
  • You are welcome!

if my reply is useful, please help mark it as an answer, thank you in advance.

Regards,

Daniel

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:14 AM
  • Sorry to say this question remains unanswered.  If I am able to resolve the issue I will post the information.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 2:00 PM
  • OK, Looking forward to hearing your good news soon.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, May 27, 2019 1:07 AM

• It appears I have resolved my issue.  I updated the firmware for both HDD controllers on the server and now my backups have gone back to "successful".  No errors or exceptions.  I did not give much thought about this doing any good but it did.  I will monitor this for a couple more days then I will mark this as answer if all goes well.  Thanks for everyone for the help.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:24 PM
  • You are welcome!

Thanks for your sharing!

Daniel

Friday, May 31, 2019 1:10 AM

• Not so fast.............my issue has returned.  I had the one backup that was error free after the firmware updates and now the error is back.  Same as before.  Very strange.
    Friday, May 31, 2019 2:18 PM
  • It is likely that firmware and backup software are incompatible, so it is recommended that you contact the manufacturer or consider replacing the backup software.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:30 AM

• I found a service that was running that was causing the error below.  It had to do with our 2nd Copy software that runs a nightly backup to copy changed files.  The funny thing is this software has been running for years on this server and I have not experienced the issue until recently.  If I stop the service my Backup Exec will run without any errors.  Start the service and the error comes back.  At least I now know what is causing the error and I can get some advice from 2nd copy support on what else I should do.  thanks

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, June 10, 2019 3:43 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 3:43 PM
  • You are welcome!

Thanks for your sharing!

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 1:31 AM