none
Put Computer back into AD RRS feed

• Question

• Big mistake:

Big mistake: in active directory management center, domain computers, I deleted the wrong server (the one that has exchange).

The trash is not activated. Can I put it back in place?

Alain Bourgeois

Saturday, July 20, 2019 3:58 PM

All replies

• Might try rejoining domain.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:00 PM
  • I don't like the "try". I would have to connect as local administrator, leave domain and re-join domain, so create a new computer account.

What will happen with all what was installed as domain admin on the deleted computer (exchange)? Will it be lost?

Isn't it better (safer) to restore a backup from VM with active directory?

Alain Bourgeois

Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:20 PM
  • What will happen with all what was installed as domain admin on the deleted computer (exchange)? Will it be lost?

Hard to say, but then you asked in hyper-v forums. Better to reach out to exchange experts in dedicated forums over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 20, 2019 4:24 PM
  • If you have backups of the Domain Controller, you could extract the NTDS.dit database from the backup, and use some like the Veeam Explorer for Active Directory to restore the AD object

Cheers, Ben Thomas Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP Cloud and Datacenter Management Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:20 AM
  • If you are going to perform an authoritative restore on the domain, you should do it quickly to minimise record drift (and make use of the weekend as an opportunity to drop a domain controller I would suggest). If the Exchange Server has updated its computer account password between the backup being made and the time that the object was deleted, you will have to re-join the Exchange server to the domain anyway!
    Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

BTW, If you have Windows Server 2012 R2 or later, and If the Active Directory Recycle Bin is enabled, you can restore the deleted objects, more details:

Step-By-Step Guide to Restore Deleted Objects in Active Directory

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

_______

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:51 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

Since your query is more related with AD and exchange , which our forum doesn't focus on , I would suggest you have this asked in AD forum and exchange forum for better answers.

Here is the link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-us/home?category=exchangeserver

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, July 22, 2019 2:48 AM