none
Error ID 41: Hyper-V launch failed; Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS.

Question

• All,

I have installed Windows 2008 R2 on a new IBM T410, the added Hyper-v role to it. Howver, I cannot add or create VMs. So, I checked the event ID for Hyper-v and got the following errors:

Error ID 41: Hyper-V launch failed; Either VMX not present or not enabled in BIOS.

Error ID 14098: One or more driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.

I have used SecuAble site to check my BIOS and all checked fine.

Here are the BOIS setting:

Intel (R) Hyper-Threading Technology [Enable]

Intel (R) Visualization Technology [Disabled]

Inter (R) VT-d Feature    [Enabled]

I also ran the Intel (R) Processor ID utility and it showed also Execute Disabled Bit :  Yes

Not sure what else I can do to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Yassar

Monday, July 26, 2010 7:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• >Intel (R) Visualization Technology [Disabled]

That's your problem, it needs to be enabled.  Assuming that's really Virtualization, not Visualization.  You need to do a full power off after you enable it for it to work.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, July 26, 2010 8:13 PM
  • Thanks Bob for the reply,

If I enable this one, I won't be able to log in to my laptop. For some strange reason it mess up my log in screen and I would not be able to log in to my laptop.

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Actually - you mention VT-d and "Visualization" technology.  Are these the same or different??

You need to have VT turned on and Execute Disable Turned on.

After you turn on Execute Disable you must power off the machine and power it back on or else Execute Disable is simply on but not active.

The VT should be the virtualization (unles that is a typo as Bob origionally suggested)

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:25 PM
  • All,

VT-d is enabled as mentioned in the problem description. Inter (R) VT-d Feature and Intel (R) Visualization Technology are separate options in the BIOS. For Execute Disabled option I have disabled it and enabled it and every time I would shut down the machine, and still have the same issue.

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Can you tell us the detail symptom if you enable Intel (R) Visualization Technology in BIOS and try to log on the computer?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:53 AM
  • That is very bizarre, I've never seen that.  Maybe there's another setting that would fix that, but I'm unfamiliar with your particular laptop..

Have you tried turning off VT-d?  That's not absolutely necessary.  It could be some other Video setting as well.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:43 PM
  • ____ All,

Thanks for all your reply. To answer your question, if I enable Intel (R) Visualization Technology in BIOS and reboot the machine for some reason it mess up the display I can still use the mouse, but the screen has 5 horizontal white line and if i hit any key it will refresh the screen then I will get a blue screen complaining about the display driver.

I will update the display driver and see if that fixes the issue and update this post

Thanks again for all your reply.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Hi Yassar,

Maybe you should also update the BIOS of your laptop as well?!

Cheers!

http://defaultreasoning.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:47 PM
  • I have re-installed the video adapter and have the latest BIOS version and I still have the same issue.

I have noticed the following:If I remove Hyper-V role and enable  Intel (R) Visualization Technology, I don't get any issues logging to the laptop or getting the Blue Screen, if I add the Hyper-V role with Intel (R) Visualization Technology enabled I am not able to log in and if I hit any key I would get the Blue Screen.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Hi Yassar, I suggest you also check the solutions in the following thread:

Hyper-V server R2 blue screen

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverhyperv/thread/985fb923-beb5-4bc2-9665-799e46cba9bc

Also, for crash issues on kernel level in VM, the root cause can vary. The ntkrnlmp.exe related error message is very general and collecting and analyzing dump files will be the most efficient method to pinpoint the root cause.

To resolve this issue efficiently, I recommend that you open up a service request by following the wizard at http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance. Microsoft Customer Support Service is the best resource for this kind of issues.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 12:39 AM