none
Moving a witness disk to another SAN

Question

• I am running a 4 node failover cluster for hyper-v. Right now, the cluster is connected to two seperate HP EVA8100's.   All cluster shared volumes and the witness disk are on SAN1.  SAN1 is being reallocated and I am forced to move all cluster shared volumes to SAN2.  I do not have SCVMM (due to being a state government office I am unable to get approval for this purchase).

I am stumped on how to move the witness disk without taking apart the cluster and rebuilding.  Of course this would be a long drawn out process as I would have to migrate all VM's to non-csv volumes the re-import after I recreate the cluster.  I see there is an option to create a shadow copy of the witness disk.  So it seems plausible to enable tha copying it to a LUN on SAN2, then move that resource that same LUN.  Seems I am missing a few steps.

Any ideas?

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• Danthesaaman

For the Quorum Disk you can always change it to a File Share Witeness and then rebuild your Quorum on the new SAN and change back to Disk and node.

For the VM's you have the correct process, create a new LUN, export, then import.  To speed this you if your cluster has access via SAN Network to the new SAN then you can mount your new LUN you are going to use for the CSV as a non CSV LUN on the old cluster Export your VM's, remove it from Old Cluster, remask it to the new Cluster and mount the Disk and Ebnable it as a CSV then Import your VM's then make th em Highly avalible.  This method will save the Ethernet Copy of them.

Enjoy.

Will

William Bressette, Network Architect, Horn IT Solutions, http://wpjsplace.spaces.live.com/blog
    • Proposed as answer by WPJBMVP Friday, April 15, 2011 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Monday, April 18, 2011 9:19 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:02 PM

All replies

• Danthesaaman

For the Quorum Disk you can always change it to a File Share Witeness and then rebuild your Quorum on the new SAN and change back to Disk and node.

For the VM's you have the correct process, create a new LUN, export, then import.  To speed this you if your cluster has access via SAN Network to the new SAN then you can mount your new LUN you are going to use for the CSV as a non CSV LUN on the old cluster Export your VM's, remove it from Old Cluster, remask it to the new Cluster and mount the Disk and Ebnable it as a CSV then Import your VM's then make th em Highly avalible.  This method will save the Ethernet Copy of them.

Enjoy.

Will

William Bressette, Network Architect, Horn IT Solutions, http://wpjsplace.spaces.live.com/blog
    • Proposed as answer by WPJBMVP Friday, April 15, 2011 5:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Vincent HuModerator Monday, April 18, 2011 9:19 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Thanks, I will do a little research on File Share witness. 
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:27 PM