none
An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets

Question

• Hi buddies.

Maybe you know how to solve this problem I'm getting. I have a backup policy in my server, that makes a full image. I'm able to restore that image (using the windows cd) if it's located in an USB HDD, but if I try to load the image trough a network share, the quoted error message appears...

Any idea? I've tried in different servers, locations, sharing permisions...

Thx!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please check whether you backup to the network share directly or copy the backup content from the USB HDD to the network share?

If you copy backup contents form USB HDD to the network share,  in the course of copy, it may be something gets corrupted.

If so , I suggest you backup content to network share directly instead of copying from the USB HDD to the network share.

BTW, you can refer to the following post to check the backup on the network with cmdline.

Windows Server Backup Restore "Failed to Enumerate backup sets"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/2b004fcf-e9f5-46a6-801f-61b874eb6cfe/

Best Regards,

Jeff Ren

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:12 AM
  • any update for your issue?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

I haven't had time to read your link, but my scenario is pretty simple. I have an external USB HDD, with the image in the root.

If I plug the  HDD and I boot from the Windows DVD, I can restore the image perfectly.

If I plug the HDD in other computer, and share it, I get that error when retrieving the backup from the network...

So the backup integrity is OK...

I'll try to read the link ASAP.

Thanks ;)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:47 AM
  • why did you plug the USB HDD to a remote computer and share it for the backup/recovery? why not just connect it to the computer you want to perform a restore? What you did dosn't make sense. You may try to copy  the content of the backup to the local disk and then perform the same recovery.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Please copy the contents in the USB hard disk to a folder on a remote computer and the share the folder to test this issue again. To perform the restore from a network location, please refer to the following blog article:

Windows Server Backup 2008 Restore from Network Location

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/02/04/windows-server-backup-2008-restore-from-network-location.aspx

Laura Zhang - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by DanielSVargas Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:14 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:31 AM
  • Now it worked copying the backup to a local folder and sharing it, and it also worked sharing the backup form the external hdd...

I don't know what I was missing, but the point is that is working.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:14 PM
  • I get this error as well.  You know, it shouldn't be this hard.

I have a 2TB external hard drive. I made a backup, replaced the failing hard drive, then booted off a system recovery disk.

The external HDD doesn't show up as a location.

Fine, so I move it to another PC, and setup a share to the root.  I get the error "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets"

I check the event log on the source PC, and it shows a sucesful login.  Yet "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets"

So I setup a share to "WindowsImageBackup". Now, I don't get the error, but it finds NO backup sets, despite the fact 2-3 are in there.

I even tried browsing to each folder, thinking there was a permissions problem, but that all worked.

I did find this in the event log:

An IPsec main mode negotiation failed.

Local Endpoint:

Local Principal Name: -

Network Address: 192.168.0.198

Keying Module Port: 500

Remote Endpoint:

Principal Name: -

Network Address: 192.168.0.196

Keying Module Port: 500

Additional Information:

Keying Module Name: AuthIP

Authentication Method: Unknown authentication

Role: Responder

Impersonation State: Not enabled

Main Mode Filter ID: 0

Failure Information:

Failure Point: Local computer

Failure Reason: No policy configured

State: No state

Initiator Cookie: 12c88e049c741881

Responder Cookie: ed9a52c5f4b8db35

Any ideas?

== John ==

== John ==

Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Hi All,

I had the same issue and found that it was because I had multiple backups of DIFFERENT operating systems in the WindowsImageBackup folder. [\\server\backups\WindowsImageBackup]  I was trying to restore a Windows 7 image from the share which contained Windows 8 and Windows 2012 images also.

I created a new share on the server, created the WindowsImageBackup folder in the share and copied the required Windows 7 backup folder in.

With this setup the restore completed without issue. 

I tried a Windows 8 and Windows 2012 restore from the folder containing multiple OS backups and they enumerate and restore fine.  So it appears to be that the enumeration fails if there are later OS version backups in the folder.  Well for me at least.

When you create a share for your backups it must contain a WindowsImageBackup folder.  You cannot share the WindowsImageBackup folder directly as it will not locate any backups.

• Proposed as answer by Justiin Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:53 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Windows-7 64 repair disk.

Got the same message but just skipped it through the installation.

What I saw

1. Created network backup and recovery DVD

2. Booted DVD, selected network location

3. Voila image is there, but have not put the right drive yet so needed to shutdown and go back to square one

4. Repeated step 1 and 2

5. "An internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets", note there was no problem 5 minutes ago

6. refresh, putting different paths forth and back etc etc - to no avail

7. got a internal error pop up once again but pressed enter two times accidently

8. Voila moved on with the image selected despite the error.

Conclusion, there is some bug which makes the message box pop up and image not shown.

Despite of that the image is there, is detected and you can move on within the process.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Justiin hit the nail on the head for me. I had mixed 2012 R2 and 2008 R2 backups in the same place. I confirm that copying the backup out to it's own "WindowsImageBackup" folder resolved the issue.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:07 PM
  • shoot I didn't mean to upvote this because it doesn't help at all.

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012 R2) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

Wednesday, July 08, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Great answer.

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012 R2) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

Wednesday, July 08, 2015 2:33 PM
  • I had an issue recently where I was getting the same error message "Internal Error occured while enumerating backup sets" when trying to restore from a 2012R2 network share. We migrated our file server from 2003 to 2012R2 (clean install on VM) earlier this year and we have gotten the same IPSec Main Mode error since the upgrade. I have been ignoring the IPSec error message because I haven't had a problem backing up and restoring machines up until this week. This week I started getting "Internal Error occured while enumerating backup sets", so I started researching the error, which led me here. We have about 20 or so "Multiple OS" images on a share on our 2012R2 file server. I immediately started removing all but Windows 7 images from the WindowsImageBackup folder based on what I read here. It did not help, I kept getting the "Enumerating Backup Sets" error. So I removed all Image folders from WindowsImageBackup and started adding them back 1 by 1, hitting "Refresh" in the System Restore window in System Recovery. They started showing up 1 by 1 as I added them, up until about Image file number 18 or so. As soon as I added that particular image folder back to the WindowsImageBackup folder, I got the "Enumerating Backup Sets" error again. I removed it again and I was able to see all of my Images again. I opened the folder contents of that particular computer's image and noticed that it had the vhd file, but it was missing most of the xml files that are normally there. I deleted the computer's folder from WindowsImageBackup and I ran our wbadmin script to pull a fresh image of that computer. Every thing is back to normal now and I can see all of my images again. Corrupted or incomplete Image Folder was the cause in this situation.

I wanted to share this, because I didn't see much about this particular reason for the error online.

-Garrett

Friday, October 30, 2015 12:48 PM
  • This helped me a great deal! After 5 hours of messing about with copying a 300GB backup here and there lol!

Thanks!

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:05 AM