none
Error deleting a conflict object through adsiedit

Question

• I am using adsiedit to remove a conflict object.  The DN is CN=preferredlanguage\0ACNF:8c8b41db-86da-4946-b7be-d0195a6572bf,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=protective,DC=com.  I am in the Schema Admins group.  The error I receive is:

Operation failed.  Error code: 0x202b
    A referral was returned from the server.

0000202B: RefErr: DSID-030A0AEB, data 0, 1 access points
                    ref1:
    'c4e78615-df81-40f8-956e-39731f726b08._msdcs.protective.com'

From the error message I would believe that I should find that object and make sure an attribute is not pointing to the one I am trying to delete.  But I can't seem to find that object in adsiedit.  I have looked through ForestDnsZones (protective.com is forest replicated) and other partitions with adsiedit with no luck.  I find the guid referenced in DNS Admin and it is for the DC that is holding all 5 FSMO roles (all DCs are GCs) for this root domain.  Does anyone know how I can get past this?  Thanks,
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We cannot delete Schema objects. Because doing an enterprise-wide check and cleanup might prove very time-consuming and costly, Active Directory does not support the actual deletion of schema objects. Rather it provides a mechanism for deactivating schema objects, also referred to as making them defunct.

Please follow the article below to deactivate conflicts objects.

Deactivating Schema Objects
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961741.aspx

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:51 AM

All replies

• Can you clarify how exactly you ended up with a conflict in your schema?

hth
    Marcin
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Sorry, I cannot.  There is no telling as to how long it has been there.  It was identified by ADST (ADRAP tool).  Other conflict objects were identified and were removed using the documented process on technet.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Hi,

We cannot delete Schema objects. Because doing an enterprise-wide check and cleanup might prove very time-consuming and costly, Active Directory does not support the actual deletion of schema objects. Rather it provides a mechanism for deactivating schema objects, also referred to as making them defunct.

Please follow the article below to deactivate conflicts objects.

Deactivating Schema Objects
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961741.aspx

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:51 AM