none
WS 2008 R2 WDS - XP captured image doesn't apper RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I'm preparing environment for deploying Windows XP. What I've done:
    1. Install and configure Windows Server 2008 R2 with WDS service.
    2. Added boot image from Windows 7 and created boot capture image.
    3. Install Windows XP onto refference machine, configure system and syspreped it.
    4. Using Windows 7 boot cap image, captured Windows XP image with option - Import to WDS. Under WDS console image is appearing.
    And then I faced to problem
    When I try to deploy Windows XP, start from Windows 7 boot image, but I can't select my XP image. There are only Windows 7 and Vista install images to choose (I've also added this install images before)
    Where did I mistake? Is it possible to deploy captured WindowsXp image using bootimage from windows 7? Should I use older or prepared bootimages?

thanks in advanced.
    Kyrik

br kyrik
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you are unable to select the Windows XP captured image. So could you please let me know how many boot images included?

In addition, x64-based computers can run x86-based or x64-based boot images. You could have two boot images – one for x86 and one for x64. The boot menu on x86-based computers will display only x86 boot images (because x86-based computers cannot run x64 boot images).

The default behavior is for x64-based computers to display both x86-based and x64-based boot images when both are available. Please run the following command in command prompt if you would like to change the default settings:

WDSUTIL /Set-Server /Defaultx86x64ImageType:{x86|x64|both}

Please verify that the steps for creating a custom install image are correct:

To create a custom install image

1.   Create a reference computer (install the operating system, applications, and make any other changes that you want).

2.   Ensure that you have the correct version of Sysprep.exe on the computer.

3.   At a command prompt on the reference computer, change folders to \Windows\System32\Sysprep or the folder that contains Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe.

4.   Type one of the following:

·     On computers running Windows Vista, run the command sysprep /oobe /generalize /reboot. If you prefer, you can also use the Sysprep graphical user interface by double-clicking Sysprep.exe.

·     On computers running Windows XP, run sysprep -mini -reseal.

5.   When the computer restarts, perform a network boot on the computer by pressing F12.

6.   In the boot menu, select the capture image that you created in the preceding procedure, and then click Next.

7.   Choose the appropriate drive, and then provide a name and description for the image. Click Next to continue.

Important

You will see only drives that contain operating systems prepared with Sysprep. If you do not run the command in step 4, you will not see any drives to capture.

8.   Click Browse and then browse to a local folder where you want to store the captured install image.

Important

You must enter a local location to save the new image; otherwise, you will not be able to capture the image. This requirement is enforced to avoid image corruption if there is a network malfunction.

9.   Type a name for the image, using the .wim file name extension, and then click Save.

Important

You must use the .wim file name extension when specifying the name; otherwise, the operation will fail with an error.

10. Select Upload image to WDS server.

11. Type the name of the Windows Deployment Services server, and then click Connect.

12. If prompted for credentials, provide a user name and password for an account with sufficient permissions to connect to the Windows Deployment Services server.

13. In the Image Group list, select the image group in which you want to store the image.

14. Click Finish.

At the same time, I suggest that you could create a 32 bit capture image using Windows 7 32 bit boot.wim. And use it capture the Windows XP 32 bit image. Also use the Windows 7 bit boot.wim to deploy the image to verify the issue still remained or not.

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• According to KB980711 I've upgraded wsclient.dll to 6.1.7600.20650. After that I tried boot 3 times onto reference machine from fixed image - success. Still have problem with other machines, but I suspect hal issue.

Despite using boot image with new wsclient.dll, WDS logs

ClientVersion 6.1.7600.16385

br kyrik
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you are unable to select the Windows XP captured image. So could you please let me know how many boot images included?

In addition, x64-based computers can run x86-based or x64-based boot images. You could have two boot images – one for x86 and one for x64. The boot menu on x86-based computers will display only x86 boot images (because x86-based computers cannot run x64 boot images).

The default behavior is for x64-based computers to display both x86-based and x64-based boot images when both are available. Please run the following command in command prompt if you would like to change the default settings:

WDSUTIL /Set-Server /Defaultx86x64ImageType:{x86|x64|both}

Please verify that the steps for creating a custom install image are correct:

To create a custom install image

1.   Create a reference computer (install the operating system, applications, and make any other changes that you want).

2.   Ensure that you have the correct version of Sysprep.exe on the computer.

3.   At a command prompt on the reference computer, change folders to \Windows\System32\Sysprep or the folder that contains Sysprep.exe and Setupcl.exe.

4.   Type one of the following:

·     On computers running Windows Vista, run the command sysprep /oobe /generalize /reboot. If you prefer, you can also use the Sysprep graphical user interface by double-clicking Sysprep.exe.

·     On computers running Windows XP, run sysprep -mini -reseal.

5.   When the computer restarts, perform a network boot on the computer by pressing F12.

6.   In the boot menu, select the capture image that you created in the preceding procedure, and then click Next.

7.   Choose the appropriate drive, and then provide a name and description for the image. Click Next to continue.

Important

You will see only drives that contain operating systems prepared with Sysprep. If you do not run the command in step 4, you will not see any drives to capture.

8.   Click Browse and then browse to a local folder where you want to store the captured install image.

Important

You must enter a local location to save the new image; otherwise, you will not be able to capture the image. This requirement is enforced to avoid image corruption if there is a network malfunction.

9.   Type a name for the image, using the .wim file name extension, and then click Save.

Important

You must use the .wim file name extension when specifying the name; otherwise, the operation will fail with an error.

10. Select Upload image to WDS server.

11. Type the name of the Windows Deployment Services server, and then click Connect.

12. If prompted for credentials, provide a user name and password for an account with sufficient permissions to connect to the Windows Deployment Services server.

13. In the Image Group list, select the image group in which you want to store the image.

14. Click Finish.

At the same time, I suggest that you could create a 32 bit capture image using Windows 7 32 bit boot.wim. And use it capture the Windows XP 32 bit image. Also use the Windows 7 bit boot.wim to deploy the image to verify the issue still remained or not.

Regards,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

Sunday, November 20, 2011 10:18 AM