Setup of Essentials Role Fails on 67% RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the Essentials Role Configuration Fails on 67% on a freshly installed 2012 R2 Server.

I read in some other sites, that I should take off the essentials role and reinstall, but I cannot uninstall.

How can I reset the Essentials Role Installation?

br.

Martin

Sunday, June 19, 2016 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is this the server configuration wizard that is failing, or actually installing the role?

Robert Pearman Cloud & Datacentre MVP
    @titlerequired | LinkedIn | Google+
    Facebook | Windows Server Essentials.com

Monday, June 20, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

Check to see if below blog would be helpful.

You may be unable to run post-deployment configuration wizard after you install the Windows Server Essentials Experience role:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2013/12/04/you-may-be-unable-to-run-post-deployment-configuration-wizard-after-you-install-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Has anyone ever solved this 2012 essentials failing at 67% after all this time?

I have run into a similar situation.  I have a difference though.  I am installing to a brand new install on a SSD.  No prior anything.   I have noticed my installs NEVER include a root domain.  Is this normal for server installs?     I do not know any way around this and I am stuck.   

By the way I also have tried the 2016 essentials and it also fails to completely install and it also does not include a root domain, but that is for a 2016 forum.

Any  help would be appreciated.   Before I just give up on servers.

Thanks in advance.

RHJ

Monday, August 3, 2020 11:46 AM
  • What kind of an SSD is that? Brand and model?

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Monday, August 3, 2020 11:52 AM
  • An SK Hynix 500 GB SSD.

I am wrong about something.  I am new to server admin so please forgive my ignorance.   My 2012 install apparently does have a root domain.   In AD Admin center I see the domain I installed but it says it is not connected.    It has this message : "Can not find an available server in the <root domain> domain that is running the Active Directory Web Service(ADWS).   How did it get created and not connected to ADWS?   I've checked the services and ADWS seems to be running.         

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 11:56 AM
  • That SSD does not seem to be enterprise grade hardware and has the same chip as Samsung 850/870 Evo and that has also problems with promoting a DC, it crashes.

What happens if you run netdom query fsmo from an elevated command prompt?

www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | DNN MVP 2019

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:04 PM
  • >netdom query fsmo

I got "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted."

I also tried a related powershell query and just got red lines. 

I do have a 2TB Western Digital I can move into place as Disk 0. 

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 2:24 AM
  • Give it a try with that other disk. If that works you can also virtualize your server

Wednesday, August 5, 2020 5:24 AM
  • Did try with the other disk and same result. Stops at 67%.
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 11:53 AM
  • Anything in the event logs?

Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:39 PM
  • Lots of errors

Customer Views Server Roles

• active Directory Domain Services warnings
    • DFSR warnings
    • DNS_services warnings

DNS Server

• DNS_Services warnings

Admin Events

Active Directory Domain Svcs

• SMSvcHost Error
    • Service Cntrol Mgr Errors