none
hyperv slow? or win server 2016 slow? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a new server : supermicro, 16 cores xeon, 64Gb ram, hardware raid-10 ssd disks, 1Gbps nic's.

On it I installed win server 2016 std: one for AD+DNS, one for exchange, file sharing, small database (sybase) and rdp.

Problems:

* installing win updates is very slow (installing cumulative update 08/2019 (cumulative 07/2019 xas already installed) is running for 1 hour now. Any hint to speed this? No bottleneck found in task manager.

* I work in rdp and often rdp connection is frozen for 10 seconds. However, task manager shows network nearly not used, cpu use <10% on host, other computers work fine (no problem with internet connection), ... Any hint?

* from client side, it seems very fast.

Any hint?

Alain Bourgeois

Monday, August 19, 2019 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Alain,

Windows Server 2016 is known to update very slowly for unknown reasons, there are multiple threads about this, for example over here, it is actually not due to your hardware, I'm afraid I can't really say why it is like this.

For your RDP freezing issues, it's most likely some configuration or connectivity issue, I would suggest you perform some network monitoring to see if you could find the root cause of the issue.

You can for example use WiresharkMicrosoft Network Monitor or any other network monitoring tool to investigate your issue more.

Also make sure your systems are up-to-date, both source (where you are RDP'ing from) and destination (where you RDP to).

Ii you're using Windows 10 as your client operating system, you could have a look over here:
    Remote Desktop Freezes, Hangs, Locks, Disconnects After Upgrading to Windows 10

PS: 
    The slowness in the installation of Windows updates has been fixed in Windows Server 2019, so it only affects Windows Server 2016.

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, August 19, 2019 9:30 PM
  • Hi,

May I ask more information about your current situation?

Did windows update installation always run slowly, include previously updates?

Did the server access to Internet normally? Is there slow performance?

Meanwhile, if build-in Windows Update takes long time to complete, please try to manually download and install update. Then check the results.

If there are numbers of updates to be installed, it is recommended to install them one by one in a natural order of time sequence.

Windows Update speed may be affected by several factors at each process. Such as network bandwidth, availability of windows update server, local server free resource, and etc. You could check about the cpu usage when install windows updates.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael 

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:09 AM
  • All updates were slow since install of the server.

Internet connection is fine and fast.

During updates, bandwidth is < 10% and cpu usage < 20%. storage < 10% use. No bottleneck can be seen in task managed before the blue screen for shutdown and blue screen after reboot.

Concerning rdp, opening connection is fast, but every 5 minutes the connection freezes for 10 seconds then is back. I don't know why. Internet connection is not broken: ping continues to answer when rdp is frozen.

Alain Bourgeois

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

For now, I still couldn't find any clue, I'm afraid you might need to contact  Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/worldwide.aspx

Appreciate your support and understanding.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 30, 2019 10:30 AM