none
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU missing after restart RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into an issue setting up the clients to connect to the WSUS server.  I work in a Novell enviroment so AD does not apply.  A registry key was created to import the update settings on to the local systems.  All systems are Windows XP SP2 and XP SP3.  All the settings import just fine.  The systems show up on the WSUS server and everything looks good.  The issue I have is when the system restarts, the keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU are gone.  They workstations are still visible in the WSUS server but the WSUS server can no longer communicate with the client systems.  I went into GPEDIT and all of the settings for Windows Update are set to "not configured" before and after restart.  I would think that this would mean that GPEDIT would leave it alone.  Any help would be greatly appreciated on this!

Casey J.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• There is nothing in the native product that I'm aware of that will remove the key on restart. If you're experiencing the removal of the key on restart, then I'd suggest looking at startup scripts for the culprit -- this is most likely the result of some external source.

The Local Policy (GPEDIT) set to Not Configured will leave the registry values alone, and even if they weren't set to "Not Configured", Local Policy does not delete values in a key, it merely changes the data of existing values.

However, if it were anything internal to the WSUS/WUA environment, it's not impossible that the newer versions of the WUA have been configured to remove registry values that are inconsistent. If you would, please post the .REG file  you're currently using for import, and let's verify that the values being used are consistent and logical for use by the WUA.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:57 PM