none
Disable Sleep Mode and Enable Hibernate though Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

We have domain Windows Server 2012 R2 with domain environment.

For Bitlocker implementation as phase i want to disable sleep mode and enable hibernate for all laptops across the organization and this tasks can be easily achievable through group policy.

I have two different link for configuring on single device which is confusing me which one is correct also i am not able to find the setting to deploy it from group policy.

Link 1

https://www.farbeyondcode.com/Stop-using-sleep-mode-with-Windows-Bitlocker-for-better-security--Learn-how-to-use-hibernate-in-Windows-8--5-3000.html

Link 2

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Azure/en-US/98128a76-415d-403e-8420-e631be7858d7/gpo-to-change-all-windows-10-sleep-options-to-hibernate?forum=winserverGP

Please help and correct me in this regard.

i just make changes in preferences

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:20 AM

All replies

• 

Hi,

To enforce the settings, we should configure them under Computer Configuration – Policies – Administrative Templates – System – Power Management.

Detailed settings are similar as Rob said:

• Disable Sleep mode:
      Disable policy: Allow standby states(S1-S3) when sleeping (Plugged in/ on battery).
    • Enable Hibernate time out:
      Enable policy: Specify the system hibernate timeout (plugged in/on battery).
    • Change the power button action:
      Similar as Rob said, but depends on your needs.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:58 AM
  • GP is successfully applied but when i close the lid or press the power button bitlocker drive 

Monday, January 29, 2018 5:07 AM
  • Hi,

May I ask whether the laptop has entered hibernate mode after pressed Power Button or closed the ild?

Best Regards,

William

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:11 AM
  • Hopefully it is going on hibernate.

How can i confirm ?

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

Usually, when laptop going to hibernate mode, we couldn’t wake on it by press keyboard, click mouse or open the lid.

You may try the following steps:

1. Run command shutdown -f to enter hibernate mode.
    2. Power on the laptop.

I assume that the disk will keep unlocked. If I’m right, I would suggest you check Bitlocker configuration or create a new thread in Microsoft Bitlocker Administration and Monitoring forum for further troubleshoot.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=mdopmbam

Best Regards,

William

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:25 AM
  • Yes your observation is correct drives still unlocked after coming back from hibernate.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:29 AM
  • Hi,
    According to the result, it should be Bitlocker configuration issue. Since i'm not focus on Bitlocker, I would suggest you check Bitlocker configuration or create a new thread in Microsoft Bitlocker Administration and Monitoring forum for further troubleshoot. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=mdopmbam

Thanks for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,
    William

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

Since the Hibernate settings issue has resolved.

Could you please help to mark the helpful replies as answer? It would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

Thanks for your understand and support.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Monday, February 5, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Monday, February 12, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Thank you. It worked perfectly !!!
    Monday, November 4, 2019 4:55 PM