none
Change enviroment varible to install updates?/? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. Short and sweet. My C drive is low on space but I need to run updates for office. Can I force the install of the service pack or the update to use the D drive (separate spindle with more space) to be used for the unpacking of the update as it gets installed? So basically I don't have enough space on the C drive to run the update!
    Friday, May 13, 2016 7:23 PM

All replies

• Please, give some more info: you've got VM or Hardware-based host.

You could flush your updates folder also, if available.

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:23 PM
  • Should not be a problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/912203

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:28 PM
  • Hi Palmer_001,

>>Can I force the install of the service pack or the update to use the D drive (separate spindle with more space) to be used for the unpacking of the update as it gets installed?

Please try the following registry settings:

HKLM->System->CurrentControlSet->BackUpRestore->FilesNotBackup->WUA->%windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s change the %windir% to D:\ 

Note: Please backup your registries before modifying, in case data lose.

Besides, i suggest you could change the software installation path rather than updates installation path.

Here is the location:

HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->ProgramFilesDir->double click->change the path to D:

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Sunday, May 15, 2016 3:04 AM
  • Hello. These are physical boxes. Everything that can be deleted has been believe me. we are even compressing the winsxs folder on some machines. These are due to be migrated in 3 months so just need to fire fight for a little while longer although it is imperative these office components are updated.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Should not be a problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/912203

Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Hi Dave. I cannot see a relevant switch on that page??? Am I missing something?
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Hi Palmer_001,

>>Can I force the install of the service pack or the update to use the D drive (separate spindle with more space) to be used for the unpacking of the update as it gets installed?

Please try the following registry settings:

HKLM->System->CurrentControlSet->BackUpRestore->FilesNotBackup->WUA->%windir%\softwaredistribution\*.* /s change the %windir% to D:\ 

Note: Please backup your registries before modifying, in case data lose.

Besides, i suggest you could change the software installation path rather than updates installation path.

Here is the location:

HKLM->Software->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->ProgramFilesDir->double click->change the path to D:

Best regards,

Andy_Pan

Thank you Andy. Couple of points. I can't move the software installation path because the update is for a product that is already installed on the C drive. Although I think it makes sense for additional softwares going forward. On the first point, that reg key location. If changed will that unpack the update (exe files) to the D drive? It won't install the actual update to the D drive, just cache the file for the update. Make sense?
    Monday, May 16, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Use the;

/extract:[path]

to your D:\ drive.

Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 16, 2016 12:23 PM