none
Windows 8 Hyper-v bridged WIFI issues when creating virtual machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am not sure if this issue has already been fixed 

1. In hyper-v manager I create 2 network switches: internal and external ( for connecton to a centrino n135  wifi adapter)
    2.  I create a VM to act as a PDC. with 2 network adapters internal and external 
    3. set the default gateway and DNS to this server as it will be the dhcp server for the rest of my VMS
    4. Straight away this created a bridged network adapter on the host and I lost my internet access
    5. updated the centrino n135 driver but this didn't make any difference
    6. This has partially worked http://akfash.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/providing-internet-access-to-hyper-v-machines-through-a-wifi-adapter/
    7. MY pdc VM can connect to the internet and the host internet is now working. However, the VM default gateway is not set correctly as the VM internet connection is very slow.
    8. I guess I need to configure the network on all VMS that they are able to use the DHCP for internal ip and DNS but also ensure that each VM can connect to the default gatway of whatever ISP / WIFI hotspot I am connecting to.....

Hope this makes sense.... Has anyone see these issues.

Daniel

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I remember some articles mentioned Windows Hyper-V does not allow you to bind a wireless network adapter to a virtual machine.

Since the virtual switch in Hyper-V is a “layer-2 switch,” which means that it switches (i.e. determines the route a certain Ethernet packet takes) using the MAC addresses that uniquely identify each (physical and virtual) network adapter card. The MAC address of the source and destination machines are sent in each Ethernet packet and a layer-2 switch uses this to determine where it should send the incoming packet. An external virtual switch is connected to the external world through the physical NIC. Ethernet packets from a VM destined for a machine in the external world are sent out through this physical NIC. This means that the physical NIC must be able to carry the traffic from all the VMs connected to this virtual switch, thus implying that the packets flowing through the physical NIC will contain multiple MAC addresses (one for each VM’s virtual NIC). This is supported on wired physical NICs (by putting the NIC in promiscuous mode), but not supported on wireless NICs since the wireless channel established by the WiFi NIC and its access point only allows Ethernet packets with the WiFi NIC’s MAC address and nothing else. In other words, Hyper-V couldn’t use WiFi NICs for an external switch if we continued to use the current virtual switch architecture.

To work around this limitation, you can use Microsoft Bridging solution. Create an Internal network, name it “External”, system will create a Virtual Network adapter for it. Create Network Bridge between your WiFi NIC and the Virtual External Network adapter. Assign External network for your VMs, so they have internet connection.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Bringing Hyper-V to “Windows 8”
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx
    Hyper-V: How to Run Hyper-V on a Laptop
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.hyper-v-how-to-run-hyper-v-on-a-laptop-en-us.aspx
    Configuring Virtual Networks
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816585(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Hi,

I don’t find virtual network adapter “External_WIFI” in your host’s Network Connection page? Do you mean the “External LAN”?

And there is a network bridge displayed, you created it between External network and the Physical WiFi NIC?

I mean create an Internal network (name it as External), and then bridge the Internal virtual network and the physical WiFi NIC.

> using Win8 / Server 2012 Hyper-V you should not need to use the bridging.

In Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V, it’s not support to bind a WiFi network adapter, so we use Network Bridge as work around. I don’t have a Windows 8 laptop runs Hyper-V now, I can’t test whether it support WiFi NIC. But Network Bridge work around is working.

Hope this helps!

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Lawrence,

Yes, I have followed your advice ( this lunchtime) and I am pleased to report my PDC is able to render the sun.com home page ( quicker to type than microsoft.com!!!!!)

It is a bit counter intuitive  as in naming an internal network external ( instead of naming external network extrnal) but it does work.  There is also  no checkbox for Allow management operating software to share this network adapterr. This so different to the instructions I have seen on blog sites and even a windows 8 hyper-v demo video.. 

I need now to create my 'real' internal lan so DPC is able to supplied internal IP addresses to the various servers on the farm. This will be my next step ...

Then I will write up the instructions as I want to be able explain this - at last to myself) 

Thanks again as now I am applying critical updates to my PDC..

Daniel

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• You should not need to use the bridge in step 6 unless you only have one IP address available.

Simply create an External Virtual Switch and attach it to the wifi NIC.  And select the option to allow the management operating system to share the NIC.

This places both the installed OS and the VM OS on the same physical NIC, and they both expect DHCP to assign an IP.

On the Internal Virtual Switch you need to manually assign IP addresses or in your case have DHCP of your PDC VM only on this vNIC. (You don't want it to assign IP addresses on the public side as that will cause problems.)

At this time only your PDC VM has access to the outside world.  And any VMs on the Internal Virtual Network are isolated (Oh, and the management OS also has an adapter as it is an Internal Virtual Switch).  Use a Private Virtual Switch if you don't want to mess up the networking of the management OS (as it will end up with two gateways, one real and one isolated and useless - thus borking up the routing).

If all VMs need to have Internet access, just put them on the External Switch and use the DHCP from the Internet facing source DHCP Server.  If they need to be isolated, then isolate them to your DHCP Server.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

I remember some articles mentioned Windows Hyper-V does not allow you to bind a wireless network adapter to a virtual machine.

Since the virtual switch in Hyper-V is a “layer-2 switch,” which means that it switches (i.e. determines the route a certain Ethernet packet takes) using the MAC addresses that uniquely identify each (physical and virtual) network adapter card. The MAC address of the source and destination machines are sent in each Ethernet packet and a layer-2 switch uses this to determine where it should send the incoming packet. An external virtual switch is connected to the external world through the physical NIC. Ethernet packets from a VM destined for a machine in the external world are sent out through this physical NIC. This means that the physical NIC must be able to carry the traffic from all the VMs connected to this virtual switch, thus implying that the packets flowing through the physical NIC will contain multiple MAC addresses (one for each VM’s virtual NIC). This is supported on wired physical NICs (by putting the NIC in promiscuous mode), but not supported on wireless NICs since the wireless channel established by the WiFi NIC and its access point only allows Ethernet packets with the WiFi NIC’s MAC address and nothing else. In other words, Hyper-V couldn’t use WiFi NICs for an external switch if we continued to use the current virtual switch architecture.

To work around this limitation, you can use Microsoft Bridging solution. Create an Internal network, name it “External”, system will create a Virtual Network adapter for it. Create Network Bridge between your WiFi NIC and the Virtual External Network adapter. Assign External network for your VMs, so they have internet connection.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Bringing Hyper-V to “Windows 8”
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx
    Hyper-V: How to Run Hyper-V on a Laptop
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/185.hyper-v-how-to-run-hyper-v-on-a-laptop-en-us.aspx
    Configuring Virtual Networks
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816585(v=WS.10).aspx

Hope this helps!

Lawrence

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Hi

I think this is what I have done but it does not seem to work. 

My PDC has a fixed IP address (On internal_LAN) ..  so far I have been abled to keep my WIFI connection working on my host but still no internet on on my PDC vm

I gather that loads of people are having similar issues.  I will have a another go later on to get this resolved.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:21 PM
  • using Win8 / Server 2012 Hyper-V you should not need to use the bridging.

The bridging was a hack specific to Server 2008 as it blocked using wifi adapters with External Virtual Switches.

Try unwinding all the networking and tweaking by deleting all Virtual Switches.

Then create one External Virtual Switch with your wifi adapter and "allow management operating system.." checked.

This should put your console OS on the network.  And any VM that you attach.  Via DHCP.  (that said, there are some home class routers that won't assign IP addresses with DHCP, that is a different issue on a different thread).

Now, create a Private Virtual Switch.  Attach your VMs to it.  Manually assign the IP on this interface of the VM(s).  And bind your DHCP Service to only this interface.

If your VMs on this private network require access to the internet - add RRAS to the VM that has DHCP.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

I don’t find virtual network adapter “External_WIFI” in your host’s Network Connection page? Do you mean the “External LAN”?

And there is a network bridge displayed, you created it between External network and the Physical WiFi NIC?

I mean create an Internal network (name it as External), and then bridge the Internal virtual network and the physical WiFi NIC.

> using Win8 / Server 2012 Hyper-V you should not need to use the bridging.

In Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V, it’s not support to bind a WiFi network adapter, so we use Network Bridge as work around. I don’t have a Windows 8 laptop runs Hyper-V now, I can’t test whether it support WiFi NIC. But Network Bridge work around is working.

Hope this helps!

Lawrence

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Lawrence,

Before I go ahead and make the changes you suggest I thought it would be good to recap on what steps I have made so far:

My attempt to create a virtual 2  server  farm under Windows 8 Hyper-V on my laptop

1.        Enable Hyper-V feature on Windows 8 Pro
    2.        Go into Virtual Switch Manager and add
      1.        External ( I called it External_WIFI to to try and differentiate from a stand ethernet connection) this switches to External network: Intel Cntrino Wireless-N35 + Allow management of the operating system to share this network adapter. This gives the option for my internal machines to connect to the internet. The fact I  create this will knock out the Internet access on my windows 8 host
      2.       Internal (I called it Internal_LAN) this switches to internal network only – this is how my virtual machines will talk to each other
    3.        Create a VM using the windows 2008 R2 64-bit install media ( I wasn't sure about using Windows 2012 standard but I guess I could have)
    4.        In the Configure Networking I use the drop down box to assign a connection to Internal_LAN
    5.        Add a Network Adapter – this 2<sup>nd</sup> I will assign to the External_LAN
    6.        Complete the installation of Windows 2008R2
    7.        Run View Network Connections
    8.        Rename one NIC Internal_LAN and the other NIC External_LAN
    9.        On the Internal_LAN configure the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.102 , subnet mask and default Gatway address xxx.xxx.xxx.102
    10.    On the External_LAN configure: Optain IP address automatically  , subnet mask and Preferred DNS server to be  xxx.xxx.xxx.102. IN DNS Tab Register Connection Addresses in DNS. In WINS Tab specify WINS Server is xxx.xxx.xxx.102

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Lawrence,

Yes, I have followed your advice ( this lunchtime) and I am pleased to report my PDC is able to render the sun.com home page ( quicker to type than microsoft.com!!!!!)

It is a bit counter intuitive  as in naming an internal network external ( instead of naming external network extrnal) but it does work.  There is also  no checkbox for Allow management operating software to share this network adapterr. This so different to the instructions I have seen on blog sites and even a windows 8 hyper-v demo video.. 

I need now to create my 'real' internal lan so DPC is able to supplied internal IP addresses to the various servers on the farm. This will be my next step ...

Then I will write up the instructions as I want to be able explain this - at last to myself) 

Thanks again as now I am applying critical updates to my PDC..

Daniel

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Brian

I am happy to give your instructions a go... Though the first part I have tried and it immediately knocked out the wifi internet access on my win 8 machine.

Daniel 

Friday, November 30, 2012 1:26 PM
  • I found my Trend Officescan Antivirus was breaking Hyper-V.  I used a Legacy Hyper-V adapter + local hyper-v switch + windows bridging + wifi adapter.  Worked finally.  This on Win8.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:56 AM