none
Client RDP mapped drives slow when using RD Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 servers load balanced with a hardware load balancer. Each server is configured as a session host and a RD Gateway.

Network ACL's are open from internal users to the ip address of the load balanced IP.  Port 443 for SSL.  Temporarily i have opened 3389 as well because people were complaining of the slow access of their client mapped drives.

If users connect to Server A by putting ServerA as the Gateway name and Server A as the target for the RDS Server.   The Client drives mapped take forevery to open and list the contents.  Also copying files from the client to the sever is 8-10 times as slow.

If i have a user remove the gateway setting and just RDP directly to Server A client mapped drives are fast.

Does the gateway encryption add that much overhead?

I have just installed the Gateway Role with the default TCAP and RCAP policies.   Not that this makes a difference but I have configured TCAP to use Remote Desktop Users and RCAP is allow access to all network resources.

Only other piece of useful information would be that users's clients machines would be on a different domain than the Server domain but that shouldnt make any difference.

We have disabled IPV6 as well as the TCP Task Offloading but again it is fast when not using the gateway so that's probably not it.

Thanks

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Ditka,

have you tried to upgrade the RDP client to version 7 and see if that helps? The access should not be much slower/different under the same network conditions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

Do you have any traffic shaping/prioritisation or something in between? In general the session is as fast as directly?
    If you enter RD Gateway server 1 to access Server 2 - how does it behave then?

The clients are they fat or thin clients?

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 Dublin”, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Slowness is from Win7 RDP client as well.   Also I have removed 1 server from the load balancer completely so there is only 1 gateway and 1 RDSH now and still really slow if I put in the gateway setting in the Client. 

If I just RDP to the server client drive mapping file copies are fast.  Only slow when using the gateway.

We are using a F5 Load balancer, with 2 rules there is a 443 rule and a 3389 Rule, I am checking to see if there is something going on with that.  However I have another Gateway server and RDSH server that is internal, this environment is not using a load balancer and the file copy slowness exists in that environment as well.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Ditka,

Did you find a solution here?  We are experiencing the same problem.  When a remote user attempts to copy a file to a local drive through the RDS connection (the client mapped remote drive), the copy process is very slow.  We use an RDS Gateway too.

Thanks,

DLovitt

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:18 PM