none
Cannot type Chinese in iOS client RRS feed

• Question

• I’m using Windows 10 build 18362 and Microsoft RD 8.1.42 running on iPadOS 13.1 public beta 3. My host computer has Chinese Pinyin input method, and I configured Pinyin keyboard on my iPad too.

The problem is, if I set Windows IM to Pinyin and iPad IM to English, it seems that Remote Desktop cannot call Windows IM and instead types in English, even when the Windows language bar shows that Pinyin IM is currently enabled&activated.

If I set iPad IM to Chinese, I cannot even type full words, the Pinyin IM on my iPad seems broken and fails to show up any input results. 

So what should I do?

• Edited by Stone Qiu Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:59 AM
    Sunday, September 15, 2019 5:58 AM

All replies

• HI

Thanks for your discovering this issue ?
    1 what's pinyin input method software did you use? is it build-in input method software in ipad or third party input method software( for example sogou pinyin input method software )?
    2 can you enter winver in command prompt on windows computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]   
    3 when you used os 13.1 beta 3 os on ipad for the first time ,can you use pinyin IM successfully on remote session ?
    4 when did you update your ipad os to 13.1 beta 3 ?
    5 because the version 8.1.42 of Microsoft remote desktop for ipad was released in jun20 2018
    ,did your issue also happen on the same ipad with pervious os version when using Microsoft remote desktop version 8.1.42 on ipad ?
    (it means did your issue first happen after upgrading ipad os to 13.1 public beta 3 and this issue not happen on the same ipad with previous os version.)
    6 when you are using build-in IM on ipad ,if you using third party pinyin input method (like sougou pinyin or QQ pinyin ),will the problem persist ? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 8:06 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 10:53 AM
  • HI

Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

I get same problem. When I update my ipad to IOS 13, chinese pinyin IM stop work.

1. I'm using build-in pinyin IM in IOS13.

2. My host system is windows pro 1903 18362.356

3. When I using IOS13 first time, it does not work.

4. I first update my ipad to IOS13 20th Sep.

5. Before update to IOS13 it is working great.

6. If using third party IM(sougou pinyin), its working. But, when I using bluetooth keybroad, IOS only allow using build-in IM. So for now,I can't using keybroad to using chinese pinyin IM.

• Edited by Anend Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 9:10 PM
  • HI
    7 if you reinstall Microsoft remote desktop version 8.1.42 on your ipad,will the problem persist ?
    8 if you remote access from Microsoft remote desktop version 8.1.42 on your ipad to win10 previous version(like win10 1809 or win10 1709 etc),will the problem persist ?
    "But, when I using bluetooth keybroad, IOS only allow using build-in IM."
    9 is it possible to set third party pinyin input software(like QQ pinyin ,sougou pinyin,Xunfei input software ) to default pinyin IM then using third party pinyin IM to solve the problem temporarily ?
    10 from your A3 to A5 ,i think this a new issue after upgrading ipad OS to 13.1. I will report this issue to related department .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, September 26, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Well, I guess the issue happens to everyone who is using iPad OS(iOS 13.0 or later) while using Pinyin IM on a remote computer. 

As I were using RD Client (the latest versions of both the normal release and the beta version released by TestFlight) on iPad OS 13.1 Developer beta 4, I found that the unavalability of Windows IM had nothing to do with the version of Windows because it happened to both Windows 10 Pro (build 18985) and Windows Server 2016 (build 14393.2941).The issue keeps happening, once I upgraded iOS to iPad OS 13. 

1.If I use iOS build-in Pinyin keyboard to input Chinese character, only the first English character can be input to the remote computer, no matter what IM is on the Windows.

2.If I use iOS build-in Romaji (Japanese) keyboard to input Romaji character, only the first English character can be input to the remote computer, no matter what IM is on the Windows.

3.If I use iOS build-in English keyboard to input English character, all the English characters can be input to the remote computer, no matter what IM is on the Windows.

4.The Windows build-in touch keyboard can be used to input Chinese characters through Windows IM, but it's not user-friendly when in high resolution. 

The unavailability of Windows Pinyin IM through iOS RD Client has been haunting me for nearly three months. It is so strange that no technician detected such an obvious issue. (it should have happened to Chinese and Japanese users at least).

Please find the solution and fix the issue of the RD Client app ASAP. Thx.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 11:07 AM
  • HI Andrew Liang1998
    Thanks for you report and test this issue. I had reported this issue in build-in system ,i think solve this issue need some time ,thanks for your waiting.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:43 AM