none
Which domain controller authenticates a user from a trusted domain

Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm making some software that will get the last logon time for user/computer accounts and to do this it needs to get the lastLogon attribute from every domain controller in the domain (as the lastLogon attribute is only updated on the DC that authenticates the user and is not replicated). That's fine I can do that for every DC in the domain/forest that the user is a member of, but I was wondering about trusted domains (that are not part of the same forest). What happens if a user from my domain logs on to a machine in an external trusted domain - will it be a DC in my domain that authenticates them (and therefore gets the lastLogon attribute updated) or will it be a DC in the domain of the computer that they logged on to? I'm assuming it will be a DC in my domain, i.e the user's domain, but I just wondered if anyone can confirm?

Chris

My .NET Windows API Library: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/cjwdev-windowsapi-api-pack-released/
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• Your assumption is correct. A user is authenticated by a DC from the domain in which that user's account is defined.

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Chris128 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• I would check the PDC Emulator FSMO holder in the trusting domain. It handles external trusts.
    I hope this information is useful.
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Your assumption is correct. A user is authenticated by a DC from the domain in which that user's account is defined.

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Chris128 Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:59 PM
  • OK cool, that makes my work a little easier then. Thanks for the confirmation!

Oh and for anyone interested in the software, it will be available to download for free from my blog as soon as it is finished :)

My .NET Windows API Library: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com/2010/07/04/cjwdev-windowsapi-api-pack-released/
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:22 PM