none
AppData Folder Huge RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a 1TB hard disk on my laptop which is getting full even though all of my documents are either on a network drive or a cloud drive. I've noticed that the C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Local folder is a whopping 840GB! 

I've already done the disk clean up on the C drive which has given me a measly 2GB back.

Am I able to delete anything from the AppData folder? Is something else likely to be going on?

Thnaks

Sunday, January 6, 2019 8:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your query here.

we can delete temp folder ( C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp). Windows already does it for you when you use the Disk Cleanup tool.

The AppData folder contains the roaming folder and a local folder which contains information, settings and app related data about your Microsoft roaming account as well as local information.

If the AppData folder is consuming too much space on the hard drive, it could be due to some of the files related to certain application installed on the computer which you may not know about. You might browse around a bit and find out which one it is in the folder. If any of the file name that looks or related to any application which you do not use or require on the computer, you may go ahead and uninstall the application from Control Panel.

Go to the AppData location and check which folder is consuming more space.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 7, 2019 5:57 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have deleted the contents of the Temp folder but as you rightly say, the disk clean up does this so there wasn't much in there as I'd already run that tool.

I'v installed an app called TreeSize to find out where the problem is. I've fond there are four folder within the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE folder where all the space is being taken up. Is this for Internet Explorer (IE??) or something else. I don't actually use Internet Explorer, as it happens!! 

Would I be OK to delete these folders? I'm a bit confused as I can't see these folders in Windows Explorer

Thanks in advance

Monday, January 7, 2019 8:33 PM
  • Hi DavidLeach234.

I have routinely deleted the contents of that folder without issue; however, (as a precaution) I would recommend you cut the contents of the directory and paste them to a backup directory(another location on the drive) leaving the original directory empty and then check to make sure any network drives/locations or ftp connections load as expected (assuming you use any of those).  I believe you'll find that there is no apparent loss of functionality and may then delete the files in order to free up space. 

I hope that helps. 

Monday, January 7, 2019 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replying.

In windows 8 and windows 8.1 the Internet  cache or temporary Internet files are stored in this folder.

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE

It is suggested we can clean up cache from Internet options. Choose what you want to delete based on your demand:

i

If you do not use IE, we can uninstall it.

For your reference:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/260897/how-to-delete-the-contents-of-the-temporary-internet-files-folder

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/temporary-internet-files-folder-location

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:49 AM