none
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

Question

• Hi,

We're running Server 2003, and we have a number of websites on our server that are running Access Databases.

For some reason, last week, none of the websites/web pages that have an ASP Access connection, are working. We've searched google for answers and all we get are "permission" settings...but for every website? We've checked the settings and they are fine. We've even uninstalled and reinstalled ASP.

Here is the error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

/default.asp , line 9

It points to the same line on every website: rsBio_cmd.ActiveConnection = MM_connMGW_STRING

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:15 PM

Answers

• I appreciate all your responses, but please don't start WWIII because of my question. :)

But FYI, we have restarted the server, there are no .lck files to be deleted, and we do not share DB's between any websites. These are all individual websites in IIS, with their own folders, their own ODBC connection and Databases. That is what is so curious about this. It happened globally on our webserver at the same time to all asp sites...not just to 1 website.

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 06, 2009 4:09 AM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• hi there,

Your issue seems to be with ODBC driver and database connectivity issues. There is a seperate forum to answer your query.

Please post your query under

http://forums.iis.net

best of luck.

sainath !analyze
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:25 AM
  • hi laura zhang,

curly101' s issue is more related with IIS application which means none of the website / webpages have an ASP connection. I would suggest to test the connectivity first on IIS as ODBC is just a media to establish communication between backend and frontend.

sainath !analyze
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:24 PM
  • I dont wan't to sound brazen or rash but I think the bigger isssue is, and this is my opinion, you push everyone away from here and mark it as an answer. I understand that not all questions are in the proper location, but move their question or tell them to use the web techologies section here. Even in this instance, the Jet engine is in question, which should be a general server question or even possibly web technologies.

curly101,

Rebooting the server almost always resolves Jet connectivity issues. I think it will be best if yo udo not share the same DB between many websites as they can set an exclusive lock on it forcing other apps to fail. Also, make sure no one is using the DB outside of the websites. You can always try to delete the .lck file that may exist, but that wont always fix a lock issue.

Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:48 PM
  • hi nickhunyady,

i dont think so !, because i want the users to get quick responses for their issues, and also there are many other moderators who always view what we do and they unmark when appropriate.

There are dedicated forums created to handle specific issues. And i only mark them as answers after making sure that users are into right forum.

As a moderator , its my responsiblity to make sure that this forum is doing good by answering the queries, addressing the issues.

sainath !analyze
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:02 PM
  • I appreciate all your responses, but please don't start WWIII because of my question. :)

But FYI, we have restarted the server, there are no .lck files to be deleted, and we do not share DB's between any websites. These are all individual websites in IIS, with their own folders, their own ODBC connection and Databases. That is what is so curious about this. It happened globally on our webserver at the same time to all asp sites...not just to 1 website.

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, July 06, 2009 4:09 AM
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:38 PM