none
WSUS Server Node not connecting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WSUS server that had been working properly until a couple hours ago. I'm pretty sure some updates went through for the server and now I'm surprised with my wsus snap-in not working any more. I cleared the mmc folder contents in %appdata% and also the cache and checked that WWW service was not set to interact with the desktop. Any ideas? Please see the error below.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,
    Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IndexOutOfRangeException -- Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.BaseApi
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetConfiguration()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration.Load()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateWellKnownType(Type type, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ClassFactory.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.set_UserSelectedCulture(String value)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.TrySetServerCulture(String culture)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools.SetServerCulture()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.AdminApiTools..ctor(CultureInfo culture, IUpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.ServerTools..ctor(ServerSummaryScopeNode serverSummaryScopeNode, SnapInTools snapInTools, IUpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi marterez,

If the WSUS server is on Server 2012 or Server 2012R2, please check if the Server has installed KB3159706, if yes, we need to do manual steps listing in the KB article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159706/update-enables-esd-decryption-provision-in-wsus-in-windows-server-2012-and-windows-server-2012-r2

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:16 AM
  • Ann thanks for the reply, and the answer is yes the server had the KB installed and I did went through the steps outlined in the KB article however it still is showing the issue. I've seen several articles detailing issues in WSUS after this KB is installed my server was healthy before it.
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:42 AM
  • Hi marterrez,

Then, please run Server Cleanup Wizard on the WSUS server and increase the Primate Memory Limit on the WSUS server, check if it could help:

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 5:33 AM
  • It looks like my problem has somehow shifted to the WSUS AppPool just stopping, in consequence of course my WSUS console and services are also halted. The current memory limit is set to 18GB out of the 6-12GB recommended threshold. I really appreciate some insight on this if anyone knows how to fix it.

Below is the error on the WSUS console:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.
    Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.
    The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,
    Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
    Source
    System
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
    Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()

This was a clean install and it really frustrates me that it still causing so many errors to get it right.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Check this blog post it might help.

https://sysadminplus.blogspot.com/2016/11/wsus-console-crashed-after-running-some.html

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Did you run my cleanup script? It fixes many problems and I would be surprised if it didn't fix yours

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:10 PM
  • @Phyoe,

Thanks for the link, it basically summarizes the two scenarios that I previously covered on my replies before. I appreciate the guidance but I believe that something else might be going on with this server.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Adam,

At this point I would try Vudu if it could help figure out what the real issue is. I'm getting ready to deploy a replacement for that WSUS but it's extremely frustrating not being able to figure it out. As for your script, can you provide a link so I can take a look at it. I greatly appreciate everyone helping on this one.

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Look up in the thread

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Hi materre,

Just to check if you use the method in my last reply, what is the result and do you get any progress with your issue?

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:42 AM