none
Window Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• We are planning to buy One window server 2012 R2 standard license and Cal. So can we use the same cal after using it in physical machine with the continually using it with virtual server. 

Brijesh Jaiswal

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, September 26, 2016 5:55 AM Relocated to Proper Forum
    Monday, September 26, 2016 5:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

if my reply answers your issue, please propose it as answer on the Forum.

thanks

diramoh

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi Brijesh,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved,

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you can use the same Windows Server CALs for all Windows Servers instances installed in your Domain(physical + virtual).

very important: the version number of the CALs being used to access the server software must be the same or higher than the version of the Server software running.

thanks

diramoh

Monday, September 26, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

But if now i am using 30 cal for physical, so can i use it for virtual machine simultaneously. 

Brijesh Jaiswal

Monday, September 26, 2016 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

yes, you can use it for physical and virtual simultaneously.

With Windows server, there is no software to install in order to add CALs. You buy the CALs required, you get a piece of paper that indicates you've purchased the required number of CALs and that's it.

thanks

diramoh

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Awesome ..Big relief..Thanks....................

Brijesh Jaiswal

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

if my reply answers your issue, please propose it as answer on the Forum.

thanks

diramoh

Monday, September 26, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi Brijesh,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved,

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 7:27 AM