none
Windows 2008R2 SP1 : Backup and disk bigger than 2 TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've a problem with one of my server under Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (Std Edition). I have an hard drive of 2,5 TB (marked as basic, not dynamic or GPT under disk management console). This disk have one partition (primary, NTFS) which correspond to my drive "F".

I never had been able to backup this drive before SP1 but heard on differents forums that SP1 break the 2TB limit on VHD files used by Windows Backup and then could solve my problem.

But when i'm using the command : wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\server\share\dayXX -include:F: -quiet

I've the following error message : Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected.

Is there any solutions or should i shrink my partition under console manager to be able to make a backup ?

Thank in advance

Matt

Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Matt,

You should shrink the partiton to be small than 2TB in the Disk Management console before you can make a backup.

Scorprio

TechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
    Monday, February 28, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I have not heard of this change in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

You cannot use Windows Server Backup to back up file and folders on volumes that require more than 2040 GB (or 2 TB). However, as long as the data size is less than 2 TB, you can perform a file or folder backup. For example, you can back up 1.5 TB of data from a 3-TB volume. But, a full server or volume recovery using the backup will recreate a 2-TB volume instead of a 3-TB volume.

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank for your answer, i tryed to make backup of part of the disk with "-include:F:\myDirectory" but then i've the following error message "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation".

Do you have an idea of the problem ?

This server is my exchange server too, but the database aren't on the same disk and i've done the tests with all the exchange services stopped, but do you think Exchange Server can have incidence on this problem ?

Matt

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:08 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I noticed you posted another thread discussing the second issue. Therefore, I suggest focusing on that thread to troubleshoot the second issue.

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Hi Scorpio,

Thank for your answer, the problem was due to the size of my partition (more than 2 Tb) and my Exchange Server database on it.

I was having less than 2 Tb of data but both mixed was the source of the problem.

As explained in (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/a3c73c5c-1e9f-45e8-894a-db88f8318483), i've shrinked my partition and all my problems are now solved.

Thank for your help.

Matt

• Marked as answer by Ghost beholder Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:19 AM