none
Using VHD as quorum disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody.

I am trying to make a cluster from old PCs in our company for test/lab purposes only. I am not going to use it as a production environment, but Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition requires a separate physical disk as quorum disk. After googling a long time, I found that VHD files can be mounted as if they where real physical disks, using vhdmount utility provided with Microsoft Virtual Server. I have successfully created a virtual disk and mounted it, formatted a 1GB partition with NTFS file system and created a physical disk resource in node 1 of my cluster. Another 1GB partition is created in the same way in second node (which is not added to the cluster yet, because of the quorum problem). When I try to bring online the physical disk resource in node 1, it fails: event ID 1069, and nothing more! No error code, no guide. In eventvwr I see three entries saying "Cluster resource 'Q' in Resource Group 'Cluster Group' failed." and after all, another entry says "The Cluster Service failed to bring the Resource Group "Cluster Group" completely online or offline.". Please help me! I need it! And I have no real physical disks to add to all nodes.

Thanks.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 4:36 AM

Answers

• I recommend using an iSCSI Software Target to create test clusters, it's a much better way to go...   Such as the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target or Starwind are examples.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:40 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I recommend using an iSCSI Software Target to create test clusters, it's a much better way to go...   Such as the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target or Starwind are examples.
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:40 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Elden.

Can you give me download links for such softwares (even trial versions)?

Regards.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:29 AM
  • YOU'RE GREAT ELDEN! IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY! THANKS A LOT!
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:48 AM