none
Conflicting Records - Not really? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Im having a scenario in which i during OSD manually create an device records using _SMSTSSmbiosGuid and ComputerName. To join this in a collection. These are baremental, workgroup / non-domain devices. No records can be discovered from domain, and ive made sure to delete every records before trying to install it again.

This results in an devicerecord, but just after the OSD is done another record will be automatically created using "MP_ClientRegistration""Heartbeat Discovery".

They both have the same HardwareID, MAC Addresses, Name, NetBIOS Name and BIOS GUID.

But the new recods will have the manually created ones Configuration Manager UUID as "Previous ConfigMgr UUID".

Ive tried to use "Automatically resolve conflicting records " and "Manually resolve conflicting records", nothing happens when using auto and nothing shows up as a conflicting record when using manually. Like its not a conflicting record at allt.. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this resolved?

Best regards,

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:45 AM

All replies

• The sms_discovery_data_manager message:

Discovery Data Manager has processed a discovery data record (DDR) for computer "5CG8402HMR" with the SMS identifier of "GUID:AB32B921-03C2-4601-AB7C-A96DCBA85136" which has reported a new hardware identifier of "2:6A2644891E0706EFDD5829C918AA2A5C51D9B1C2". 2 existing records sharing this hardware identifier have been marked as obsolete.  The data in these records has been superseded by the data in the new record.

Possible cause: The operating system and ConfigMgr client have been reinstalled on this computer.

Is there a way to keep this from happeing, or making SCCM merging the two records instead of making one obsolete.

I've tried the merging scripts which can be found for MessegeID 2642, but i know if i can apply theese to 2639.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

Duplicate Records are created due to the discovery data manager mechanism which runs a query and sorts the results by date. It will update the most recent returned result rather than the active result if more than 1 result is returned. Any subsequent AD discovery will then update the NULL or inactive entry in the database instead of the active entry.

Here is a workaround: Use query to identify duplicate records of clients, once those duplicates are identified and fetched in to the collection, we can delete those records. 

For more details, please refer to:
    ConfigMgr (SCCM) – Duplicate Record Issue
    Known Issue and Workaround: Duplicate Records When You Use Unknown Computer Support with Active Directory Delta-Dis

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon Ren

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Is one of the resources marked as obsolete? Based on the message above, it has and thus there's no issue here as everything is working as expected.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Yes, it is marked as obsolete. And i thought it was as intended aswell.. But, it makes things "difficult" for me, as the thing which i wanted out of it, wont work, but maybe that is the case.

The reason for the manual created one was that i would at the same time add it to a collection via a direct rule and it does. But when the new one, the automated record, with the same name, is created it will make the other obsolete and this one will not be part of the collection of which i added the first one.

Is there a way to solve this, or will i have to add the new one to the collection aswell, afterwards?

The thing is, that theese devices are not domain joined and part of a workgroup and thos require approval to join the site. What i wanted to achive with this was:

1. The record gets manually(scripted during TS, based on _SMSTSSmbiosGuid and computername(serial)) created.
    2. the record is added to a collection based on what org is chosen.
    3. later on another script will automaticlly approve all devices in this collection, and the devices joines the site and the CM agent works.
    4. When the OSD is done and the user logs in, everything is working and they can get on with their work.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 1:09 PM