none
Steps to move Folder Redirection for My Documents to different file server?

Question

• Hi, We are replacing a Windows Server 2003 with a Windows Server 2008 R2. We are already on 2008 R2 domain.

Is it possible to programatically and/or through Group Policy to have the documents moved to the new 2008 R2 server and update the Offline Files settings on the Windows 7 computers?

I would like a step-by-step guide if possible.

The only solution I have is to force all users to login with new local profile and move the documents manually but for even just 50 users that is going to be very painful, for the client and IT staff.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you,

-Bob

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Make sure the your current GPO under the Settings tab, Policy Removal section is set to 'Leave the folder....'. If this is a change in configuration, wait for a few days until all systems have updated their GPO.

2. Create a new redirection GPO pointing to the new server/path.

3. On the new GPO, on the Settings tab, check 'Move the content of % to the new location'

4. Unlink the old GPO and link the new one.

Note that this will move the files when the user logs in which will take some time when they first get the change.

Like all folder redirection changes, test, test, test. Unexpected results are common with folder redirection.

Windows 7 by default will create offline files for the new location and as the files are moved from the old location, those offline folders should be emptied.

Thanks,
    Guy

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Make sure the your current GPO under the Settings tab, Policy Removal section is set to 'Leave the folder....'. If this is a change in configuration, wait for a few days until all systems have updated their GPO.

3. On the new GPO, on the Settings tab, check 'Move the content of % to the new location'

Note that this will move the files when the user logs in which will take some time when they first get the change.

Like all folder redirection changes, test, test, test. Unexpected results are common with folder redirection.

Windows 7 by default will create offline files for the new location and as the files are moved from the old location, those offline folders should be emptied.

Thanks,
    Guy

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

For more information regarding the settings of Folder Redirection, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

How to Configure Folder Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782799(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:13 AM
  • I know this is a year old, but hopefully still moderated:

question: can you pre-populate the contents of the MyDocs folder in the new location to prevent the files from having to move when the user logs in? (Understood that NTFS permissions have to be set up)

Monday, May 21, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,
    Guy

Hello Guy,

Can I use "Move contents of the Documents to the new location" option to redirect Documents folders from old server share to new one?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:35 AM
  • Yes, you can - if you do NOT enable "move contents" within your redirection policy...

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And - of course - my coke bottle sports car

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you for clarification. Unfortunately I did enabled "Move contents..." setting in attempt to move Documents folders of these users from server path A to server path B. I ran into big troubles with some of my test users.

I got other thread open about this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c2d84a06-aa7d-400d-b4f3-f062e6580bec/offline-files-documents-redirection-problem

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:33 PM
  • I know this other thread. And now you know what to take into account when moving redirected folders around :-)

Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And - of course - my coke bottle sports car

Restore the forum design - contribute some CSS if you can!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:34 PM