none
What are the similarities between VMWARE and HYPER-V. Are there any doc's that compare these both.

Question

• Hi,

What are the similarities between VMWARE and HYPER-V. Are there any doc's that compare these both.

We are currently using VMWARE and i need to know how Hyper-V is better than that.

Regards
    Sharath
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Answers

• There is no simple answer for your question.

Which is "better" depends on your needs, since VmWare ESX 3.5 + Virtual Center at this time has more features than Hyper-V, but Hyper-V is a LOT cheaper to purchase, so at the moment it depends on whether you need the extra features.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft will soon release Virtual Machine Manager 2008, things may change agian and you'll have to reevaluate your options again.

And then again nothing keeps you from having a mixed environment of hosts running either Hyper-V or ESX Server.

So my current answer to your question is: In some ways, yes.

Best Regards,

Henrik
    Friday, July 18, 2008 10:30 PM

All replies

• The core architecture of the two hypervisors is very different.

VMware runs as an emulated hypervisor (all devices presented to VM guests are emulated from the hardware)
    Hyper-V (XenServer as well) runs synthetic devices (the Xen style of hypervisor) - where the VM actually interact directly with the base hardware, but in isolated space.

This is enough information for you to head over to wikipedia and look up 'virtualization' and then explore 'hypervisors'

The architecture of the two systems is very different, and this results in many of hte feature differences between the two.
    Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, July 18, 2008 2:47 PM
  • This is a decent overview of the different architectures http://it20.info/blogs/main/archive/2007/06/17/25.aspx
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:32 PM
  • There is no simple answer for your question.

Which is "better" depends on your needs, since VmWare ESX 3.5 + Virtual Center at this time has more features than Hyper-V, but Hyper-V is a LOT cheaper to purchase, so at the moment it depends on whether you need the extra features.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft will soon release Virtual Machine Manager 2008, things may change agian and you'll have to reevaluate your options again.

And then again nothing keeps you from having a mixed environment of hosts running either Hyper-V or ESX Server.

So my current answer to your question is: In some ways, yes.

Best Regards,

Henrik
    Friday, July 18, 2008 10:30 PM
  • If your objective is to create an argument for or against one or the other, then you have your work cut out for you.

I say this because of how different they are.

Microsoft has definately changed the market.  No one can doubt that.  And for a v1 product it is pretty good.

There have not been big papers about performance as they are still in the works as each side wants to spin it to their advantage.

As has been said, but I will repeat it differently.

Each excells at something differernt and in different ways.

In the end it will come down to who you want to spend your money with.

If you have an infrastructure, use it - explore the others (not just Hyper-V).

This space is moving and changing.  Within a couple years we won't be having this conversation as it really won't matter.  You will choose a backend according to your workload.  You may have a mix of different hosts - each running the type of workload that it handles the best.
    In this future world it is the management that matters, not the platform.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    Friday, July 18, 2008 11:14 PM