none
change possible nodes of cluster role RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a 2 node windows failover cluster on windows server 2012r2 (NOT a hyperv cluster).

I am interested in changing a specific role to only be able to run on a specific node (I know that in a 2 node cluster this might not make a lot of sense but it is suppose to be a temporary thing)

however, using the GUI I am only able to view and change the preferred nodes and I interested in changing the possible nodes. strangely, I was unable to find a answer that worked on google. 

anyone able to assist me please? (GUI or\and powershell are both good options)

Sunday, April 14, 2019 8:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Stanley,

Did you try changing the possible owner nodes by using PowerShell? You can make use of the Set-ClusterOwnerNode cmdlet.

Example:

Get-ClusterResource -Name "Cluster Disk 1" | Set-ClusterOwnerNode -Owners Node2
    (This sets the possible owner for the Cluster Disk 1 on the local cluster to node 2)

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

You should be able to change the possible owners for a resource on 2012 R2 via the 'Advanced Policies' tab of the cluster resource properties.

Can I ask what role/resource you are trying to apply this to?  i.e. disk, SQL etc?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Stanley,

Did you try changing the possible owner nodes by using PowerShell? You can make use of the Set-ClusterOwnerNode cmdlet.

Example:

Get-ClusterResource -Name "Cluster Disk 1" | Set-ClusterOwnerNode -Owners Node2
    (This sets the possible owner for the Cluster Disk 1 on the local cluster to node 2)

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

You should be able to change the possible owners for a resource on 2012 R2 via the 'Advanced Policies' tab of the cluster resource properties.

Can I ask what role/resource you are trying to apply this to?  i.e. disk, SQL etc?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:11 AM
  • Can I ask what role/resource you are trying to apply this to?  i.e. disk, SQL etc?

generic service.

thank you all for the reply. managed to finally find that setting in the GUI with Matt's guidance..

powershell works too.

thanks

Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:29 PM
  • COOL!

Nice to hear that!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 2:24 AM