none
Naming violation importing policy from backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I'm experiencing a weird error attempting to import GPO settings into a blank policy from a backup on Windows 2008:

GPO: Test Vista Policy...Failed

There is a naming violation.

There is an event in the application log associated with this.

Import of backup failed. Error [There is a naming violation.
    ].
     Details -
         Backup
             Directory: There is a naming violation.

Instance : X:\hostdata\GPO Backups
             Comment  : {1E8BC929-C8D5-4C24-8F9C-BEBB8717DADA}

Source GPO:
                 DisplayName: Test Windows Vista Policy
                 ID: Test Windows Vista Policy - SDM
                 Domain: {3135CAF4-750F-4685-AEBF-A15305418380}

Destination GPO:
                 DisplayName: xxxxxxx.xxxx.mds
                 ID: Test Vista Policy
                 Domain: {65C2B5B0-FE73-4D4B-8D8D-51AEAB9D0A49}

Seems like this issue is uncommon because Googling it returned very little.  Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks.

• Edited by Dooges Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:30 PM commented out domain name.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:28 PM

Answers

• This has been resolved.

I took a Process Monitor capture during the GPO copy and was able to see the interaction between the GPO management station and SYSVOL.  Everything looked fine so I started looking at the policy container in AD via ADSIEdit. 

On the source domain DC, inside the policy container for the policy that I was trying to copy, there looked to be some sort of replication conflict object.  I assume that the GPO backup utility backed up this conflict object along with the correct objects but when it came time to restore, it  freaked out.  Anyway, I deleted the conflict policy object from AD and then was able to back-up and restore without issue.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• Is there a Group Policy already in place with the same friendly name - other than the one the log shows you?
    Microsoft MVP - Group Policy -- blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:55 AM
  •  

Hi,

Based on my research, this issue may happen mainly under the following situations:

1. We created a GPO with both user and computer policy and preference settings from GPMC v2 and backup it via GMPC v2. Then, we import this GPO to another GPO using GPMC v1 (on a Windows 2003 machine).

Note: GMPC v2 is usually installed on Window server 2008 or Windows Vista, while GPMC v1 is usually installed on Windows server 2003.

2. We created a GPO  with both user and computer policy settings (no Preferences) from GPMC v2 and backup it via GPMC 2. Then, we import this backup of GPO into another GPO-GPO1. when selecting GPO1, we may receive the error “The Version option is invalid”. However, we can successfully import the settings using GPMC v2 (on a Vista machine or Windows server 2008).

Please inform me if you use GPMC v2 to backup this GPO and import using GPMC v1. If so, please use GPMC v2 to import GPO. If not, please tell me what version of GMPC you use to backup GPO and what version of GMPC you use to import GPO.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

Unfortunately there is not another policy with the same friendly name as the one I'm trying to import. 

This is a Windows Vista test policy that I'm trying to move from our lab environment into production.  It was created and managed fully from a W2K8 RTM GPO managment station while it was in the lab and the GPMC in production is W2K8 RTM as well.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:24 PM

• This has been resolved.

I took a Process Monitor capture during the GPO copy and was able to see the interaction between the GPO management station and SYSVOL.  Everything looked fine so I started looking at the policy container in AD via ADSIEdit. 

On the source domain DC, inside the policy container for the policy that I was trying to copy, there looked to be some sort of replication conflict object.  I assume that the GPO backup utility backed up this conflict object along with the correct objects but when it came time to restore, it  freaked out.  Anyway, I deleted the conflict policy object from AD and then was able to back-up and restore without issue.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:43 PM
  • I had the same problem using Vista with GPMC  v2

I used GPMC Version: 1.0.2 on a server 2003 box to sort my issue out

I also found this post which may help others but unfortunately didnt help me :)

http://trycatch.be/blogs/roggenk/archive/2008/10/28/gpmc-copy-operation-failed-there-is-a-naming-violation.aspx
    Monday, March 16, 2009 10:17 AM
  • This worked. Thanks!
    Karthik
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Can you provide more detail about "deleted the conflict policy object from AD" - how did you discover this and where in AD is it located? Which tool did you use? Cheers

www.computingimprovements.com

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Got same error: No other GPO with friendly name, DFSR Replication is healthy and GPC and GPT has same # of policies, permissions were good. 

I found that there is CNF Object within the GPO which was giving me error while importing.

Open ADSIEDIT, domain partition and locate CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=Domain,DC=local, look for the GUID of the policy (you can see GUID from GPMC) and open it. I found CNF object for CN=MachineCNF:xxxxxxxx along with CN=Machine and CN=User.

Once deleted, took new backup of GPO and import was successful.

My team was struggling to find the solution, removed my Project Manager coat for few mins and glad I found the solution. :)

Comment helped: "On the source domain DC, inside the policy container for the policy that I was trying to copy, there looked to be some sort of replication conflict object.  I assume that the GPO backup utility backed up this conflict object along with the correct objects but when it came time to restore, it  freaked out.  Anyway, I deleted the conflict policy object from AD and then was able to back-up and restore without issue." - It's CNF object easy to find as name changes and has CNF in it. 

• Proposed as answer by Seppi R Tuesday, March 19, 2019 3:41 PM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 4:49 PM