none
DPM cannot continue protection for VMware XXXXServer on vCenter (ID 30184) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing issue with DPM backup of few machines. These are appliances that are provided by some vendor and deployed as virtual machine. 

Problem is that I could not see anything with specific to the machine in the logs as DPM is not even initiating the snapshot and fails before that with below error.

DPM cannot continue protection for VMware XXXXServer on vCenter (ID 30184)

Only thing that I could find is that VM hardware version is 4, which does not support change block tracking. However, does DPM checks all these things before initiating the backup and is it mandatory to have change block tracking enabled for all virtual machines requiring backup via DPM ?

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Without the DPM logs it's difficult to tell, have you tried enabling the change block tracking (CBT) manually on the virtual machines?
    Enabling or disabling Changed Block Tracking (CBT) on virtual machines (1031873)

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:30 AM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    Only thing that I could find is that VM hardware version is 4, which does not support change block tracking.
    >snip<

Change Block Tracking (CBT) Supports only VM Hardware version 5 and later, anything older does not support CBT so backups will fail.

FYI - The DPMRACurr.errlog on the DPM Server will contain the reason for the VMware vm  backup failures.  Search for VMwareErrorCode  - then you can look up the code HERE.

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 5:41 PM